Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Bone Arrow Head Gallery - Sticky

<< < (6/23) > >>

paulc:
Here are a set of bone points I made from the thigh bones from a doe I got last year with the rifle.  The longer ones with pencil marks on them I am going to make shorter as they can almost flex in my fingers.

Paul

Prarie Bowyer:
What if you dipped them in super glue?

paulc:
I guess I could do that but I have plenty of length so shortening them a bit should not be a problem.  I am trying to decide how to handle the concavity on the inside of the bone...might make for hafting to a shaft troublesome.  But I guess I can just try one and see.

I have a memory that here in GA broadheads have to be at least 3/4" wide...?  Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,  Paul

lostarrow:
Boiling them will take the limberness out of them . The oils and whatnot (too sientific?) leach out and make for a stiffer /harder product. My wife thinks(knows) I'm crazy but I use the bones from the roasts for arrow strike plates  and they are nice and hard . The head from the pic above ,I believe is rib roast.LOL. I wouldn't overdo it though as it may become too brittle. Medium well is just about right. ;).
 Paulc. try using the concave bit to your advantage for hafting.  Like the stone points you have to play with the notch and fit each individually.

ionicmuffin:
Hey, so i was thinking about making some bone heads, but i noticed that most of the time the bone heads will be around 50 grains. so to increase weight i was thinking, could i drill a hole in the center and then cut a same diameter steel rod section so i can fill in the hole with it. I was thinking this would allow me to get upwards or 150-200 grains or more, and at the same time i would be adding some style. Is there any structural disadvantage to what im talking about? The metal would be glued in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version