Author Topic: Osage limb bow (made meat this mornin)  (Read 9695 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Osage limb bow
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:44 am »
Thanks Greg, you should try one with the sapwood on sometime. Only difference that i could tell is the sapwood doesnt have that oily feel to it when you scrape it.
Thanks pincushin
Thanks Shaun, I know what you mean and I think we all get a little too picky on our tillers from time to time.
Thanks turtle
Thanks vinemaplebows
Thanks Parnell
Thanks Will
Thanks dvs, I saw a sapwood bow you posted over on the bench awhile back and that was all it took to inspire me to try it. Glad I did :)
Thanks slimbob
Thanks cmb
Thanks Paul, yes they have a striking resemblance to a yew bow, Im sure that as the belly gets darker it will look more and more like yew
Thanks Pat, If all I had was a hatchet and a flint knife then I would definitely prefer these limbos. Cant imagine trying to tackle an 18" diameter tree without a chainsaw ;D
Thanks hrhodes
Thanks Pappy, yes its a quick shooter, kinda surprised me.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 09:38:42 am »
Yep, Sonny was the king of limb bows.  Okie you did that one well.  You might have inspired me, I'm due to make a limb bow.  I cut a few last winter and I think they're ready.  I just love the way they look.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:50 am »
Nice job on that one, for sure! I don't have any osage limbs, but I have had my eye on some of the live oak limbs I have access to. I heard it's kinds similar to osage, but probably not as purdy!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:16 am »
Looks great and excellent tiller! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:27 pm »
Very nice job and the tiller looks great.  The contrast is cool.  My buddy Jimmy did one similar a couple mths back and it has a nice streak of heartwood down the belly that looks way cool. I told him to post that one but you beat him to it. Might have to try one now. Can't have you guys showing me up now can I?    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 05:00:01 pm »
Good job! Looks great.
I' m interested in your experience with leaving sap on, is this your first bow in that manner?

simspn
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline chamookman

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 07:28:36 pm »
I'm sure Sonny is smiling over this one - nicely done !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »
I have made 5 bows now.  None with the sap wood left on.  Think I might challenge myself in the future to make an osage with sap wood on as you have done.  I love the color contrast of the wood.  Very nice looking bow.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline okie64

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 09:03:40 pm »
Thanks Matt
Thanks lesken, give the live oak a try and see how it works out, be sure to let us know.
Thanks George
Thanks Danny
Thanks simson, yes this is the first osage bow that I have left any sapwood on and I wasnt sure what to expect. Ive heard the sapwood will take more set if you dont have enough heartwood on the belly but not sure if thats the case. This one only took an inch of set so it really didnt act any different than an all heartwood bow. I will build more like this one in the future.
Thanks chamookman, Im gonna have to look up that old artivle about Sonny.
Thanks David, its really not any more of a challenge. Its actually easier since all I did was peel the bark and theres the back. The color contrast does look nice though.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:15 pm »
Sweeeeeeeeet!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »
Great looking bow Okie. I love sapling bows. neat contrast with the sapwood

Offline okie64

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:01 am »
Thanks arrowind
Thanks keenan

Offline okie64

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »
This lil limbo made meat for me this mornin! Nothing spectacular just a mature doe. She came in right after daylight and gave me about a 5 yard shot. Because of the angle of the shot I wasnt sure how good my hit was but it turned out great. I dont usually have much luck huntin this late in the season so I was pretty excited to say the least. Thanks for lookin

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Osage limb bow (made meat this mornin)
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »
Looks like your limb bow is no longer in limbo!  A beautiful morning, a beautiful doe, and a beautiful bow.  That's gotta feel good.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
Re: Osage limb bow (made meat this mornin)
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 03:04:01 pm »
Great bow, Okie!

Just out of curiosity, are you actually in Oklahoma? If so, what part?