Author Topic: Pickled Venison Heart  (Read 5518 times)

Offline chamookman

Pickled Venison Heart
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:37:24 am »
Anyone ever done Your own ? I have some Hearts in the freezer and would like to try it. So any pickling solution recipes would be appreciated. Thanks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stickbender

Re: Pickled Venison Heart
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:47 am »

Hmmmm.... sounds interesting..... 8) I have an Elk heart in the Freezer.  I ate the other one, some of it I fried, some I stewed.  Yeah recipes would be welcomed indeed. ;)
                                                      Wayne

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »
I've never heard of pickling them. The only one I've ever ate, I sliced it in half, rubbed it down realy good with some herbs, and stuffed it with stuffing, onions, sausage and mushrooms and then baked it till it was done. It tasted pretty good. I didn't know how to cook it, so I just made it up as I went along.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:34 am »
i just slow boil mine and put it in the fridge, once it's cold i slice it up for sandwiches, soft roll, mayo and yellow mustard, man that's good, i do tongue the same way,Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:50:11 am »
I personally dont care for it, but one of my buddies pickles the heart of every deer he gets.  Here's the recipe he uses:

Boil heart until tender. Trim & slice, discard water.
Then gently boil all the following until sugar & salt are fully dissolved, then allow to cool:
2 cups water
3 cups vinegar (cider or white)
1 cup sugar
5 tsp salt
Pour over heart in a jar. Cover.  Ready to eat in 2-3 days, keeps for weeks in the fridge.
Optionally add sliced onion, a garlic clove, red pepper flakes, whatever suits your fancy.
I should know better.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:19:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply ! I was lucky and was "gifted" some hearts from a friends deer camp. When I get one, it never makes it to the freezer - right to the pan  >:D. Rinsed and thick sliced, seasoned with fresh black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Then the old reliable cast iron pan heats up to carmelize a BIG handful of onions then fry the heart slices as rare as You like - the more You cook it, the tougher it gets. Dang - makin' Myself HUNGRY  :laugh:. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:20:30 am »

Ok, so do you just put a towel over the jar, and set it on the counter, or in the refrigerator?  Thanks for the recipe.  I'll trade you rutabagas, :P for deer, or elk hearts. ;) ;D ;D
                                              Wayne

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 10:18:02 am »
I put a lid on the jar and put it in the fridge right away.
hmmm, I never thought about hearts as a trade item...  :)
I should know better.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:21 pm »
Try it like you would a ham, sweet pickled and smoked.  Very tasty
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com