Author Topic: Chased a snake today.  (Read 9662 times)

jamie

Re: Chased a snake today.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 06:24:30 pm »
wow that a beauty. awesome twists with a clean profile. very nice

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 02:34:33 pm »

Hey Cowboy, looks like you did a great job on following the grain on that one! Really a nice looking stave.

You might consider making you a form if you haven't already. They really come in handy removing propellar, tweaking limbs so that the string centers on the handle, adding reflex, etc. when using dry heat. All the roughed in staves we prepared for the Tn. Classic had some form of corrections made using a form. We have several full length bow forms varying in the amount of reflex they have.

A form, dozen or so c-clamps, heat gun, and thin wooden shims can help bring the most crooked stave in line. :)

Prior to using a form, I've heated a section of osage of a stove burner, then using gloves and a thick piece of leather over my knee, tweaked the wood however needed until it cooled enough to release. Several times doing this usually would have a bow ready for tillering. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 09:36:20 pm »
Thanks Greg, I've been eyeballing that form ya'll have in the shop - with the two way steamer against the wall in background. Looks like you can clamp both ways on that one - am going to build one or more one of theses days. For now I've just got a 6' two by six cut at a radius that I clamp stave to, keeps it straight and gives some backset.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 09:41:41 pm »
Paul, when I first saw the title of your post, I had a vision of you running wfo through the rocks and bushes swarpin' at a reptile with a big club.  ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 09:48:27 pm »
Haha, Steve. Yeah, I was tryin to come up with some kind of catchy title for this one - after posted didn't look quite right. I'll get that picture your lookin for on the Weird post, hopefully soon ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.