Author Topic: Ambush Bow Challenge  (Read 10187 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: Ambush Bow Challenge
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 10:38:15 pm »
50@28 sounds good to me...  I couldn't tell ya if a bow stacked ..... heavier than that they all stack according to my shoulder ;(
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:43:14 pm »
Keenan, I think it's important to make these bows ones we can personally enjoy so we should try and adjust the rules to account for differing weights and preferences. Even though 40lbs isn't going to challenge design as much it's still adequate hunting weight.

Shaun, I think there might still be enough interest in this one to go through with it but if you have an idea for something else you should start it up. :)

Sleek, that's a good idea for testing out abilities. I'm a little more interested in ones that challenge bow design a but more.

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »
My short R/D bend thru the handle Molly's fit ALL those descriptions to a T. They're the smoothest and most forgiving short bow designs I've shot n made,and pack a punch for being short bows. They were made and designed to be ambush bows cus I'm a ground hunter.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 10:45:56 pm »
MOJam hatchet bow was a "one tool" contest, not even a pencil allowed. Rules were; hatchet, B-50 and beeswax. You were allowed to sharpen the hatchet as needed.

I was thinking of something like; most artistic or most bizarre or most snaky or most whatever but still able to shoot a 10 grn / # arrow 150 fps minimum.  Or maybe bow made in one day or one hour. Or bow made from wood found within 100 feet of your house, or bow made from the weirdest found object or material.

None of these is quite what I'm looking for, but if we cast around some ideas, the good ones will float to the top.

Got nothing against the ambush bow challenge except that its been done and several of us did it back then.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 11:44:35 pm »
how about shortest to reach 28in draw?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 12:17:21 am »
how about lightest mass bow pulling at least 50lbs....actually differences in scale calibration might make that difficult.   Just throwing another one out there.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 12:31:45 am »
i would like to have my go at this one. If you get this contest going, i'll submit Matilda, as she meets all the criteria.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:09:21 am »
While I am glad to see the gears turning I'd like this thread to focus on the ambush bow concept. If people aren't interested that's ok. But if you are lets get these rules down and make some bows. I know many of you have bows that would qualify already but I'd like to see us work outside of our comfortzones. See if you can make a bow that will surprise you! Not just the cookie cutter osage.  ;)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 04:13:51 am »
i have a plan for one that is definitely out of my comfort zone, short and curvy vs. my usual long and straight ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 04:21:18 am »
Combine a challenge like, one tool-ambush bow?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 04:40:08 am »
A 58" bow drawing 60# at 28" seems a bit of a tall order to me if you want durability too, which you surely do in an ambush bow, and to meet the other criteria it would prob' need a load of deflex or string follow.
Just the the opinion of a cat from the UK where we can't hunt, so don't shoot me.
I'd suggest throw out the draw weight and put in, 'must be made in a day', or am I confusing ambush and survival?
Del
(click... grumpy mode OFF)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:45:50 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 11:56:58 am »
can we enter more than one bow?
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 12:06:37 pm »
My thoughts:

max 58",
a static recurve for speed,
a deflex just after the handle so the tips are laying only 1" befor the handle - this allows heavy early drawweight and to keep the bow strung for the whole day,
and I prefer heavier drawweights - min 65#
wood: no softwood like yew or others, best choice Imo is osage

simson
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline RyanY

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:41 pm »
Del, that's exactly why it's a challenge. I think it's ambush in the sense of a sneak attack in the brush. Small and maneuverable.

Twilight, sure. I think to get more participation it might just be a show and tell sort of thing. Making a contest where we have to send in bows can result in lots of testing disagreements and having to ship bows may be discouraging to some.

simson, that design is expected and definitely works well but where's the challenge?  ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:04 pm »
The term ambush is a bit inappropriate. Isn't pretty much every hunting bow an ambush weapon?  Whether you lie in wait or spot and stalk, the point where you shoot from amounts to the same thing.