Author Topic: Ambush Bow Challenge  (Read 10186 times)

Offline RyanY

Ambush Bow Challenge
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:13:41 pm »
After the other thread I was surprised to hear so many people built their bows for hunting!  ;) Some of you might remember the ambush bow challenge a while back and I think we should start it again. Here's the list of requirements written by Dean Torges from his website.

1. It must be capable of staying braced for hours on end, day after hard hunting day, and not lose perceptible cast. The arrow you shoot in the early morning should strike the same mark in the late afternoon at a hunting distance.

2. It must be quiet without the use of string silencers. Since most opportunities are close quarter at animals capable of eye-blink maneuvers, it shouldn't make more noise than a walnut hitting soft ground.

3. It must be easily braced. Even if you're sitting or lying on the ground, you should be able to brace it effortlessly and positively with one throw, without the string slipping from the nock or the bow jumping from your hand.

4. It must balance in the hand so it is quick to point of aim. Also, it must be short and maneuverable so you can bend into an awkward position and shoot from brushed-in tree stands or restrictive ground blinds without bouncing the bottom limb off platform cables, branches or the ground, or waving the top limb about like a semaphore flag.

5. It must be forgiving. If you need to turn to one side on a tree stand platform and tuck the lower limb between your legs for clearance, for example, or cant the bow in some unusual position, the bow must not want to torque or twitch from such an awkward posture or the likelihood of a tortured release. In other words, the handle must provide for a repeatable grip and the limbs must be of a stable design.

6. Even though it is short, no more than 58" nock to nock, it must be smooth to a 28" draw, so that no stacking hinders reaching full draw from any kind of awkward situation—cold, stiffness, or an unbalanced posture.

7. It must pull at least 60 lbs at 28".

8. It must shoot a heavy arrow, in excess of ten grains per pound of draw weight, and at 15 yards strike pretty much where a considerably lighter arrow does.

9. It must be of dependable materials and of a reliable construction, as simple as its pursuit allows.

10. It must be pleasurable to shoot. No kick, no shock to the nervous system, nothing unorthodox to the shooting style.

I think this is a great way to show the versatility of woods if designed properly. I'll point out that simson's bow is a great example of an ambush bow. So if you guys are interested I think we could make this contest format or just for show and tell.  What do you think? My bow will of course be made of poplar.   :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Ambush Bow Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:09 pm »
The bow that meets all those criteria will be wonderful indeed.  The only sticking point is the draw weight of 60 lbs.  Why so heavy?  Are we hunting dangerous game with this?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:39:49 pm »
I agree that the 60lbs is heavy but we can change any of these rules to something we can all agree on.

Offline John D

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »
you should be able to brace it effortlessly and positively with one throw, without the string slipping from the nock or the bow jumping from your hand.

Please help me in my ignorance.  What does this mean, "one throw."? 

Thank you,

John

Boise

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »
I could easily be interested but I've got a hitch. 28 inches of draw is not real practical for myself. If you are crouching or lying down why would you need that much draw anyway?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:09:08 pm »
lying down?

haha
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »
 I loved that challenge and did build a bow for it but never sent it in. Though I think it would have done well, I fell in love with the bow and could not stand the thought of someone pulling it to 28" when My draw is only 25" For me the rules would be better set at a specific weight no mater what draw length, or at least make it reasonable to not overstress a bow. My ambush bow has hunted many years since and still shoots excellent after thousands of shots and being strung for all day hunts.
 It really was a good contest and helped spur criteria and real hunting scenario thinking when it comes to building.
 I vote for 50 lbs at 26" and no longer then 58"

Lying down is quiet easy if you practice a little
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:23:49 pm by Keenan »

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:22:46 pm »
John, I think it just means one try so basically it should be easy to string.

Keenan, I think I saw the bow you made while researching the contest. I love how you never sacrifice beauty for workability.

The draw length requirement is a bit odd as we all have differing draw lengths. I think the point is that the bow should be able to handle the stress of being so short with that draw. Perhaps a ratio of length to draw length could be the standard although a stiff handle would put shorter bows at a disadvantage. Maybe the difference in draw length from 28" should be deducted from the length of the bow. Longer draw's will not have correspondingly longer bow lengths since the shortness is necessary for hunting use.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »
Still have that bow so if you want to call it 26" draw then mine is already done >:D  And yes it was strung while up in the tree

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:31:16 pm by Keenan »

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:54 pm »
This should be fun.
Thanks for posting ryoon.
In my opinion some of the criteria are as some mentioned not appropriate. As far as weight and drawlength I don't think the eightshould matter. Maybe we can leave the drawlegnth at 28 inches because this will test out adeptness at making a shbort bow with a longer draw length. As far as weight 40 plus would be good. The reason for forty is because 40lbs and a sharp broadhead will pretty much kill whatever ur hunting in NA. Also one of the rules sas most shots are at close range so 40lbs is ok at these close ranges. Other than that If I'm not to busy ill make oneb to show n tell here :) if others vote to have the bows sent in id do that too.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 08:55:40 pm »
Keenan, I don't remember but is your bow juniper or yew? Why not make a new one from a "lesser" wood?  ;D

Legionnaire, I agree that 40lbs would be a good minimum but I think my suggestion above is a good way to account for different draw lengths.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:07:45 pm »
Ryoon, that one was yew.

Legion, The only problem for is for someone with a shorter draw a 40# bow at 28" means it's only about 31 at say 25" draw.  Guess I could find one of the ladies in the church archery group to give it to afterward. ;D

The other thoughts are if we are just building to aquire knowledge and test limits, then maybe say 50 lbs at 28" would be a better test.  40 lbs isn't going to really test the being strung for long periods very much.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 09:19:35 pm »
How about a NEW challenge - not the Ambush bow, not the recently suggested green wood bow, not the MOJam hatchet bow, not 200 fps w/ 10 grn/# .... but something entirely new?  Lets brain storm and collectively come up with a fresh challenge. As the intro to Star Trek used to say, "Boldly going where no man has gone before."

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »
I'd be up for the challenge.

I think at least 50@28 sounds reasonable. 58" nock to nock.
In my home state 50lbs is minimum for elk and sheep.

28" is considered the 'norm' for draw lengths.
If you like to shoot 26", tiller it to 28" but make sure it is at least 45lbs at your draw.

That way I can shoot it too.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 10:05:39 pm »
The One Tool Bow!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, in a survival situation ( you know we all think about those ) we arent gonna be back packing a bandsaw or a large assortment of tools. We are all good with one tool and have our favorite that we know we would never leave behind, and that would probably be the one tool we would grab in a hurry. So, if the idea of a different contest is on the table, then I would suggest this one. Or we can put the OTB as an idea for a later contest and go forward with this one.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others