Author Topic: Brown paper sacks.  (Read 1447 times)

Offline autologus

Brown paper sacks.
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:23:51 pm »
I have tried my first paper sack for backing. Does it always wrinkle like that when gluing it on? I got it laid down and wrapped it with some string to hold it down hopefully it will lay down when dry.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Re: Brown paper sacks.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
Paper grocery bag? I didn't have any wrinkles. I put a layer of glue down, put on the paper, and then coated the surface with more glue. It makes a great painting surface.
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:55 am »
When I used it, I cut it into strips, laid the strips in hot hide glue until they were soaked, and carefully removed the excess by threading it between two fingers.

Then I laid the strips down carefully, starting at one end and then laying it down SLOWLY, so that it didn't tear or wrinkle. Then I ran a finger that had glue on it lightly over the top to press it down.

Worked like a charm, smooth as..well, smooth.

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:22:03 pm »
I put my glue down (TBIII) and then laid the dry strips on the glue.  I am thinking I may have put too much glue on and they started to wrinkle because of the excess glue underneath the paper.  I will trim it today with the sanding block and if i am not satisfied with how it looks I will probably sand it off and start over.  The soaking in hide glue sound good to me.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »
Ive had the same problem before. I was using the receipt paper.  The paper would get wet and start to wrinkle.  When i would try to flatten it out it would rip.  I haven't used it since. Maybe your right we must have used to much glue.