Author Topic: draw weight  (Read 1211 times)

Offline jeeper

draw weight
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »
Im looking for some opinions on a draw weight for a hunting bow. Mostly for animals the size of the average deer here in michigan. I know the arrow weight makes a difference. Just looking for a decent # to get started. I dont think my hand or shoulder will allow more than 45 lbs. And im not sure thats enough.

Offline JonW

Re: draw weight
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:21:56 pm »
45# is plenty. Shot placement is the key.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:22:34 pm »
I dont know what the local laws are but 45 lbs is enough to kill a deer with a good arrow and good judgement. You just nee to be close enough. Probably no further than 20 yards.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 01:24:17 pm »
You need to check your local laws to see if there is a minimum weight for deer in your area. That said, a 45# bow with a good sharp 2-blade head will be more than enough for your average traditional bow shot. Placement is everything, but you should be able to get both lungs with that weight bow.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 01:27:07 pm »
45# is plenty of weight; your arrow speed is also a factor, and as you mentioned a heavier arrow contributes.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:24:41 pm »
45# is more than enough to kill a deer. If possible use the heaviest arrow you can comfortably shoot and use a sharp two-blade broad head. When I shot my deer, I was able to get an arrow buried up to the feathers using this set-up .
Ypsilanti,  Michigan