Author Topic: Looking for Replacement Bow Bamboo backed Osage Long Bow  (Read 2519 times)

Offline coyote1956

Looking for Replacement Bow Bamboo backed Osage Long Bow
« on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:36 pm »
Broken Need Replacement, one of my favorite bows i have had up untill today was one made by Vinson Minor in 2010, i bought it from a couple of older folks at the TBOF in 2010 at "poppin mocs" . it was a pretty yellow bamboo back with nodes on, golden osage and brown leather wrapped handle, satin finish . well i got really stupid today and tried to string it backwards, dark room and wasnt paying attention, well it is now a 3 piece broke bow. it did break rather easy bending it backwards, i guess i chalk that up to one of lifes lessons, man i felt stupid. ok i would really like another one, if any of you bowyers make one like this please let me know. i am low on cash money but have nice bows to trade maybe we can work something out. also have osage bow blanks nice ones! Tennessee Osage from Mike McGuire stock, about 2 yrs old now. bows i have for trade or blanks, hundreds of inserts for alum shafts and field points for wood arrows, leather top old bear quiver, any of you guys interested? it was 40# at 28" and 67" long.  replacement bow dont need to be exact but close and same look,  a true 40-45# would be nice the broke bow felt like 30# to me , Thanks, Ken
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Looking for Replacement Bow Bamboo backed Osage Long Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »
I've turned good bows from Mike McGuire's bow blanks, well cured wood before he ships 'em out, two more years can only improve their cure! 

Wish I had something to trade, Ken, but that's a style I've never tried.  Good luck, brother.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:46:44 pm »
Thanks JW  i know something will turn up !  yes the osage blanks are prime stuff !  have some nice other bows for trade i just dont use much.   another pict to show it better .
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:17 am »
Why don't you just make a bow yourself from one of the blanks?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:17:20 pm »
I think he wants to get a quality bow very similar to the one he had. He might not be able to replicate the design of the old bow.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »
I have a Vinson Minor boo backed osage bow, 62"n/n and it says 58#@26" but I don't think it is that strong. Feels more like 50# or so. This bow was built in 2002 for someone else. I traded Vinson's brother Luke for it. Send me a PM if you are interested and we'll work something out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »
i have built one bow  out of a blank  i am no bow maker you guys make beautifull bows.   i have fun shooting not building....      i dont have the skills mentor or patience for it.   Pat appreciate the offer, the bow i had there was marked 40  it felt light like 30#  was really fun to shoot , really always wished it had more thrust to it though!  think he over marked it?    40-45 is good for me @ 28"  i draw at 27" any more the bow is rushing me to release.    not sure if that one would be too much for me to enjoy, oh i do have bows up to 55# and shoot good just really enjoy a lighter bow.   i saw one on here named orion before on the BOM  contest purtiest bow ive ever seen. a bow like that would be super ,   just like a replacement for the one i broke so stupidly :)    like long bow and osage and bamboo back with nodes    heres pict of that Orion    thanks Bro's , ken   

Old Town, FL.