Author Topic: Did You Break Any This Year  (Read 6035 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Did You Break Any This Year
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:33:09 am »
I don't remember. I don't think so but I haven't made many. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:11 am »
I broke one which was destined to break it was the asymmetrical redoak board bow more of a test than anything. I have a question im working on a hinge bow project  atm which has tons of notts. If you are going to just burn your good limbs on the broken bows what would you  like in trade for these broken bows id like to test my hinge designe before i put it on the good billits
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:24:04 am by skyarrow »
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline autologus

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:23 am »
I am working on Bows 7 and 8 and have only 1 functional bow so I guess that would be 5.  But nothing catastrophic they just tend to chrysal and fret.  I have been trying to make short bows with long draws with inferior designs, more of a learning exorcise really.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 11:16:17 am »
1 explosive yew/sinew, and one chysalled elm bow, out of 8 this year :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Weylin

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 11:48:12 am »
Just one rawhide backed osage... go figure.  ::)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 12:24:52 pm »
never heard of anyone breaking a bow at floor tiller before  :D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »
No. But I only made 3.

Humboldt County CA.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »
I tested my new moisture meter on the bow that broke a few weeks ago and its was at 6% no wonder it broke :( nowthat i have a meter i can avoid atleast that problem
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 02:13:08 pm »
Just one, ...but it was sad.  It was Hickory backed Red Oak.  The thin lam of hickory turned out to have a perfectly hidden little worm hole that ran right across the back of the bow.  It was my son's first real bow and it blew up on him just as it was getting close on tiller and being exercised in.  We were at MOJAM and when it went off the whole place became silent for a moment.  It was as if the assembled bowyers knew all too well the pain of that moment and shared it with my son.  Loads of compassionate advice, assistance, and even the gift of two new staves to work with followed directly after.  It was sad for him, ...but it wasn't so bad to get to see how awesome the MOJAM people were.

OneBow

Offline DGF

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:46 pm »
I broke a bendy handle 60" osage as an experiment and out of frustration. The wood had a knot hidden to my inexperienced eyes that only showed up when I cut out the bow on a bandsaw. The knot hole went diagonal from the belly and out the side of the limb. To eliminate it I would have had to make the limb so thin it wouldn't have the poundage anywhere near where I was looking for, or so I thought. I thought for sure the bow would blow at the hole so I decided to stress the limb to the breaking point. I was amazed at how well it held up. For awhile I thought that bow would have let me wrap it around a barrel tip to tip. When she finally went it didn't break where I had thought she would let go, but actually closer to the limb tip.

When all was said and done I wished I'd have put her on the tree and finished her up. I'm willing to bet she'd of held up just fine.

-Dan   
Wyoming, MI

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »
You can break Osage??? I never would have guessed.  >:D >:D >:D  ::) ::) ::)

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline DGF

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »
You can break Osage??? I never would have guessed.  >:D >:D >:D  ::) ::) ::)

Gabe

It was hard work, but I was able to pull it off. Almost threw my back out trying.  ;)

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline JABK

• jacksonabkendrick@gmail.com
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:50 pm »
Either one or three, depending on how we are scoring this.  Had a 76" osage ELB that had a big through and through knot midway through the top limb.  I tillered it to 65# at 24" (going for 30") and the the back fractured halfway between the tip and the knot.  So I say never say die and piked it down to 62" for a shorter, flatter bow (kept the knot).  Same problem: back fracture between the knot and string nock, but I got it to 26" this time.  I am nothing if not persistent (and H. Sapien is a tool-user, dammit), so I piked again to 52" and made a light holmegaard kind of thing.  This time I tillered it clear to 40# at 27" and it spit out about 10 arrows when the limb let go again between the handle and the knot.  (I know, I was pushing the limits, but I can't help myself)

So is that one or three bows? Do I get extra credit, professor?
There is no problem that cannot be solved with logic.  Or a bigger hammer.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 08:19:46 pm »
You should at lest get a p for persistence ! One I lam. Black walnut on hickory and in the tiller stage the walnut splintered! Soooo I heated it up , took it off and put on a new piece after some clean up, guess what? It splintered again, then I realized that the walnut was weaker in tension than the hickory!!!!! Should have made it the other way around. So I put it on the shelf :-\
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline campx

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »
I broke my first one last week.  Bow #6 for me.  Was working on a maple mollegabet from a plank; it was looking pretty damned good all the way thru the tillering process.  Just hit 60 pounds at around 26 and a half inches when I heard a 'crick'.  Oh poo.  I know what I did wrong, now, and next one I won't make the same mistake on.  My fades were too abrupt, and it failed at where the fade met the working part.  Oh well, what the heck.  Try again.  Got a nice piece of apple, growing wild along the bank of a river, about 5 inches in diameter and relatively straight.  Just drying out right now.......