Author Topic: Blackpowder Hunters  (Read 15731 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: Blackpowder Hunters
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 11:12:17 am »
Robby, That rifle is beautiful!

Nlester, My advise would be to spend as much as you can up front.  Flintlocks seem to be very much "get what you pay for".  The lower end guns like TC, CVA, and Traditions may be just fine, but I seem to hear some issues with them on the the locks and ignition.  The same goes for the new crop of India made guns, like those that Middlesex Village Trading sells.  I've actually had an eye on their Brown Bess and a couple of pistols due their price, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on one, being worried about quality.  The fit and finish is definitely lacking on the ones I've seen.  Pedersoli, an Italian manufacturer, is a big step up in the production gun world.  Their guns are much nicer than those mentioned previously.  I've been very happy with their Penna longrifle for the last 10 years or so.  From there, it seems you start to go custom, with better locks and craftsmanship.  At some point, of course, there's a ceiling on "functional" quality, and the cost increase is for carving, inlays, etc.  (They truely become works of art.)

Also, think about what you'll want to be doing your flintlock...targets, small game, big game, birds, etc., which will dictate to some extent what type and caliber of gun you'll be looking for.  I've found my longrifle in .45 cal is great for whitetails.  (I initially bought it as an all-around deer-squirrel gun, though our game commission decided to impose caliber restrictions for big and small game (?????!) almost immediately after I bought it, so I can only use it for whitetails now.)  If you are considering rabbits or birds, you might want to look into a smoothbore that can be loaded with shot or patched round balls.  I recently aquired a .62 cal (20 gauge) fusil-de-chasse, that I've been having fun with on deer and small game.  It's a smoothbore and only has a small front sight blade (no rear sight), so round ball accuracy is diminished over a rifle, but it's leaps and bounds improved over the selfbows we're used to.  I'm still getting accustomed to it, and need to tweak my patch and load combo.

Shooting flintlocks isn't rocket science, but there are some basics and a learning curve to maintain reliable ignition.  Whatever you get, do yourself a favor and buy one of the those CO2 ball dischargers.  Inevitably, you won't be able to get the gun to shoot, or you'll get a ball stuck or whatever, and you'll find the CO2 thing is worth it's weight in gold.  It's also very handy to use to unload your gun after a hunt, without shooting it, to make cleaning easier when you get home.

Some recent fusil hunting pictures.

Yesterday's Penna longrifle doe.

Offline nlester

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »
Great pics and advice. I actually bought a pedersoli...I'd guess it to be the blue ridge.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »
In order of difficulty I would put in-lines as the easiest, percussion next and flintlocks last. If you practice and know your gun they are all reliable and accurate. I have used all at one time, but used the flintlock as my primary gun for many years.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 02:37:46 am »
     I have a TC kit gun, 50 cal. and Italian side by side 12,, plus revolvers.  I have never had a problem with my TC, and it shoots where you point it.  I have Friends with kit guns, and factory guns, from TC, never had any problems with them, well made, and they stand by their products.  One Friend that has a TC 5o, also has a custom flint rifle.  I have shot it, and it is spot on the money.  I Want to build one myself one day, with a nice curly maple stock, Siler lock, or L&R "Durs EGG" style lock, and swamped green mountain barrel.  I want to make a roman nosed penn, or Kentucky style stock, maybe even go so far as to put a cant in the butt stock.   For a newbie if you can try one of each, the in-line, cap lock, or flinch lock, if you can.  If possible go to a rendezvous, or a bP shoot.  I don't like the CVA as the ones I have seen, and fired, have poor locks, and triggers.  I do have a Kentucky pistol by CVA, and the lock is terrible on it, as is the stock,but the barrel, is extremely accurate, as were the rifle barrels, on the rifle that I have shot.  I still have my BP guns, and have not shot them in a long time, but when I did, it was fun, and addicting as heck.  When I can afford it, I will build myself that Flinch Lock rifle, but it is expensive even building it yourself.  But it sounds like you have gotten one at a great price.  If it doesn't have one with it, get, or make yourself a vent hole pick.  Keep your flint sharp, and the Frizzen clean.  You can make a cover for the lock, for inclement weather.  A simple cheap vent pick, is a piece of guitar string, with a loop in it to grasp, as a handle, or a short piece of dowel, with a piece of wire in it.  You will have a blast, and a ball... ;) ;D, oh, I would recommend you wear glasses of some sort, just in case of excessive flash in the pan.  You can make a neat little load carrier, by taking a four or five inch piece of two by four, and drilling a slightly larger holes than your caliber, and and put your patched and greased ball in the hole, or Maxi, real, sabot, etc. bullet type bullets in the holes.  You then put a piece of soft leather over the end, and let each side hang down to cover the bullets in the block, and attach a thong, lanyard, etc. to the block, or just put it in your pocket, and you have a set of bullets ready to be started down the barrel, with having to fumble in a pouch for them, and they already greased and patched.  ;)  Mine has a strip of rubber, with little holes in it for the caps, plus it has two holes with brass tubes in it for my powder loads, with small corks for stoppers, with strings attached so I don't lose them.  I also used to carry a piece of leather with holes around the circumference with slits in each and a cap in each, and then I just put the cap on the nipple, and pull the leather away.  It was shaped like a shoe tongue.  But get ready to get dirty, and grinning! Oh, and if you get really addicted like J.W. said, you will tend to slide away from societal norms, and start dressing strangely, get cravings for hunting knives, patch knives, scalpers, skinners, tomahawks, moccasins, floppy hats, and well...... you start to look and act like J.W. etal.  ::)

Wayne

P.S.  Be very careful with Black Powder, even the pyrodex types.  Do not leave the lid off the can, do not pour from the can, or horn, use a measure! ;)  Do not shake the metal can to see how much powder is in it, on the chance of static electricity....Never heard of it happening, but have read about warnings on it a long time ago.  Just one tiny spark, and there will be two loud bangs!  One from the powder going off, and the other from your rectum slamming shut! :o
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:54:19 am by stickbender »

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 06:16:04 pm »
  I'm  loving  this  post!!,,,hey  guys  have  any  of  you  tried  to  run  a  maxi ball  or  what I want to  try,,a  t\c maxi  hunter  through  a  .501 luber sizer  die???  I  just  slugged  the  bore  on  both  my  ml's  and  found  one  to  be .501,,and  the other  a tight .500.  the  .500 is a traditions man I tried to run hornady maxi's in this  one,,and I  needed  to allmost  use a hammer  to  seat the bullet!!  I  have  been  using patch&ball but  this  thing  has  a 1:20 twist  and I  just  want  to  try some bullets  in this,,in  NY  for  so  long  all  we  could  use  was  patch and  ball I  want to  see  what I've  been  missing  thanks and  soon  JW  will  have a  sample  for  me  to  try  JEFFW

Offline nlester

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 09:04:38 pm »
Got a chance to shoot my flintlock. Well that was different. Shot it 3 times and had 7 misfires. At 35 yds I didn't hit a thing. Lol no where to go but up. Oddly I did enjoy it. Gotta make adjustment to frizzen so there is less delay. Gonna keep trying

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »
The Pedersoli commonly has a frizzen that is a little soft.  Try running a file across the face of the frizzen.  If the file bites in you are gonna need to have the frizzen case hardened.  If the file just can't seem to grab a hold and bite, then you are in great shape.

When you say misfires, what style of misfire are you having:
1) Flash in the pan
2) Pan does not even ignite

Each has it's own grocery list of causes, but can help us narrow down your issue.  First thing to check is to see how tight the rock is in the lock. Loose rock wastes the force of the spring and leads to poor spark. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nlester

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:38 pm »
Jw
Pan wasn't igniting. I tightened my flint right before last shot. So that may have been the problem. I'll listen to any ideas for troubleshooting...I'm totally green

Offline stickbender

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 05:09:29 am »

You might want to put a thin piece of leather around your flint and insert it into your jaws, and then tighten it down, that way you get a grip, and it doesn't slip around on impact.  Some people use a thin sheet of lead instead of leather.  Keep your flash hole clean also.  Did you get a pick with it?  How about some pictures. ;)
     If you need to case harden your Frizzen, it is easily done.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 08:57:10 pm »
Since you are not getting the pan to flash off, there are several possibilities.

1) Loose rock, sounds like you were dealing with that.  Good.
2) Frizzen is soft.  You are going to check that with a file.  If the file will bite in, it needs hardening.
3) Rock's cutting edge not lined up with the face of the frizzen.  That's easy to adjust by loosening the jaws and re-aligning.
4)  Weak frizzen spring.  Does it feel like there is little or no resistance when you push the frizzen open?  If so, you can flatten out a lead ball into a small wedge and tap that into the "V" of the spring (GENTLY).  Try a few more shots and see if this works.  It's a temporary measure until you can buy and install a new spring.
5) Weak mainspring.  Same as above.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:38 pm »
Are you using course rock flints or the "store boughten" pre cut. I find the rougher the flint sometimes the better spark. I had found a piece of square spark throwing rock in wyoming years ago and used it on the flinter and shot many times with it. And yes, definitely poke the touch hole before every shot, it does delp. And after your shot wipe the pan and frizzen dry of the burned powder residue. And like said as well you can have your flint to far back in the jaws. I had this problem last week and I let the hammer down slowly while pressing on the trigger and hold the hammer with my thumb and see where it falls.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 11:53:54 pm »
Found another one taken with flintlock, 58 cal. round ball.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:01 am »

Just curious, but are you using four f powder in the pan?

Wayne

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 02:21:20 pm »
Wayne, in my 58 cal I shoot 2F in the barrel. I have a small primer made from deer antler with a wood plug in it. I take my 2F powder and grind it down to a smaller grain. It will vary from 2F down to dust when ground. I believe the dust will actually lift from the pan raising as the flint strikes down the frizzen. This dust will ignite and carry the flame into the pan igniting the remainder in the pan. This is a theory of mine, but I get fast ignitions.
I used to carry a horn with 2F and a primer with 4F, but over  time of shooting a flintlock I just do not believe early pioneers carried or had readily available the two sizes of powder.
I have ran out of what I had grinded and have poured 2F into the flash pan, then took the wood peg from my primer and used the peg to gring it in the pan. You could do that every shot, but it will slow you down some. Just prepare enough to fill your primer at one time.
I have heard that powder in the cans when you buy it has some sort of coating on it to help keep it from sticking together if it draws moisture. Grinding it would break it up and exposure powder that's not coated...
Try it, I think you will like it. Also, do not fill the pan with powder, it does not take a lot.
Good Luck

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:20 pm »
MOdern powders are tumbled with powdered graphite to prevent "caking".  If you grind it finer, you are eliminating the benefits of the graphite.

And you are right, when people bought powder, they bought what was available.  It was fairly late in the game that the DuPont people added the "F" thingy.  F meant fine to compare it against common blasting powders with grains the size of wheat or larger.  Each additional repetition of the letter F meant finer grain.  i.e. Fg, FFg, FFFg, and FFFFg.

Side note, the Duponts built their powderworks along a river and provided low cost housing and free schools for the worker's families.  The powderworks were built with massive stone walls on three sides and the fourth side and roofs were flimsy wood.  When the inevitable accident happened, the roof and flimsy wall were blown over the river.  Quickly rebuilt and back online again in days.  Widows received housing and a pension for life, their children received schooling and housing until they reached their majority.  The DuPonts took good care of their workers even for today's standards.  Actually even better than much of today's standards.