Author Topic: Blackpowder Hunters  (Read 16210 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Blackpowder Hunters
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
I have to agree, also. I suggested the Traditions because it was cheap, a good shooter and a good starting point if he liked the smell of black powder and the maintenance involved. Like, I'll clean it tomorrow, I'm too tired tonight. ::)

My first Flinter was a short Tennessee horse gun by Lyman. Just acquired an older Italian one. Can't afford a build it yourself, yet.

I was hoping Eric would come on with pictures of his Eye Candie. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 01:42:41 am »
Like some of the others, I thought I'd just get one and be done...and it steamrolled over me and changed my life entirely.  Heck, before I owned a muzzleloading rifle I didn't even consider I would ever hunt big game!!!

I'm into flinch-rocks too.  I actually had more trouble with misfires with a CVM .50 caplock than I ever have with all of my flinters combined. 

If you are a piddler or tinkerer, this is perfect...every round is a handload, every one a custom shot!

I'm expecting a package from Track of the Wolf tomorrow with the loading accessories for the .62 cal smoothbore I bought this last summer. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline agd68

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 08:49:10 am »
If your into the build it yourself thing, check out Dixie gun works online.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline robby

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:06 am »
Sorry for my misinterpretation of rule six. Very nice guns Eric
Robby

Offline nlester

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:59 am »
Man, this thread took off.  I'm glad to see so many people respond.  Its much appreciated.  Eric, your guns are works of art....don't think I'm quite ready for that yet.  I think I've made up my mind....flintlock it is.  Hopefully I can hunt one down before muzzleloader season gets here.  Thanks again for all the responses.  You've all been inspirational in my quest.  Love this site!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
I had around $700 in parts for my .54, about $900 in parts for my 12ga but am going cheap for my .40. I picked up a Green mountain barrel off eBay for $75, cut a cherry stock blank out of a neighbors dead tree, have a friend who forges really nice iron furniture,( trigger guard, butt plate and ramrod pipes) I can do a little trading with and will buy a top quality Chambers late Ketland lock. I suspect I will have around $200 in the gun when I get finished.

Making sights, triggers and trigger plates is really easy so I don't buy them.

Bottom line, you can make a really nice gun out of salvaged parts for not much money.

If any of you want to go to black powder heaven and are near Nashville, Tip Curtis's Fronter shop is the place to go. Kits, finished guns and guns in the white(completed guns that just need the wood and metal finish applied).

Tip's place is about 35 miles from Twin Oaks as the crow flies, in Cross Plains Tn.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/263706/tp/1/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:56:09 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 07:22:54 pm »
Some years back I made a snap decision to try to shortcut actoss a steep draw to cut off some turkeys that were taking the long way around.  I was running down this Black Hills Hogback ridge and mis-remembered that the rock wall was only about 4 ft high.  So there I went at full bore leaping offa that rock wall figguring to land in soft pine needles and head down the hill without breaking stride. 

Gotta interrupt myself and explain I was wearing moccasins, woolen stockings up over the knees, linen knee breeches with brass buckles at the kknees, a brown linen shirt with a green woollen vest over that (13 brass buttons up the front), and a floppy brimmed black woolen frontier hat at the time.  I coulda been one of Roger's Rangers, or a New England backwoodsman from the late 1760's.  Powderhorn and shooting bag on my left side, high and tight up under my arm, tomahawk and longknife on the right hip.  Perty Girl, my super-curly maple fullstock, flintlock, .36 cal rifle in my right hand.  Ok, picture that with me hanging in the air having run at full gallop and leaping off this rock ridgeline.  Back to the story. 

My hang time was something NFL kickers fantasize about in the off season.  The hang time wasn't a direct result of my prodigous leaping ability so much as my ability to mis-remember terrain.  My expected 4 ft drop turned into 2 1/2 stories of fall....25 bloody feet straight ever-lovin' down with no lawyer to argue my way out of paying the fines for my failure to respect the law of gravity. 

I let go of Perty Girl and proceeded to windmill my arms, a la' Wile E. Coyote, with much the same result.  The slope where I landed was very well padded with deep pine needles and it was approximately a 75 degree slope.  When my heels hit, they promptly slid out from under me.  I caught myself with my buttcheeks which attempted to grab a hold of the ground...none to successfully, I might add.  I then hit that same small patch of ground with my shoulder blades, and they too also tried to latch a hold.  No luck, so it was the back of my head that next had a chance to smack that little square foot of real estate. 

Four parts of my body impacted that square foot of dirt, rock and pine needes in quick succession like a woodpecker in a drum solo. And then it was a hell for leather slide down the hill, bouncing off ponderosa pines like a blindfolded pinball on meth!  Eventually a nice boulder at the bottom of the canyon (it started as a draw and turned into a canyon) stepped up to the plate and cushioned my slide.  Eventually I made my way back to the top of the canyon to retrieve Perty Girl. 

She was cracked dang near in two right thru the lock mortises, held together by the least little bit of wood.  My first flintlock, my favorite gun ever.  Too late to say long story short, but I am almost done with refinishing her.  A professional blackpowder gunsmith repaired the breaks and strengthened  her up again.  I stripped and sanded the whole thing, refined a few features in the process, and I am almost ready for final sanding and laying up new stain.  I can't wait to show her off. 

For them that don't shoot flintlocks, take this as a precautionary tale.  These guns get under your skin and drive you to excesses rarely seen outside of the narcotics user's experience. The funny clothes, the urge to master firestarting with flint and steel, the appetite for odd foods like parched corn and pease porrige, and the willingness to do all this stuff in the most unforgiving weather your locale offers is just the beginning.  It gets worse.  There is a dark side.  Yuo find yourself hating soft beds, cell phone reception, and food that don't fight back.  Suddenly you realize you the modern world ain't no fun anymore.  So run while you can, don't look back.  It's too late for me, prayer may not even do me any good. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »
Funny story, again. I wondered who ended up with that 62 :'(.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »
A Thompson Center would probably be best. I started with one of them and still shoot a .50 caliber my dad bought from my uncle for me. This one is wayyy more onery but i love it. been hunting most rifle seasons with them the past few years. Took the hair off a few deer the past few years, and stuffed it in my medicine pouch. But, two years ago I got a squirrel. i won't fill your thread with photos but like you said it is reallly related to archery. Black powder was invented a long time ago by the japenese? or somewhere in Asia. and before flintlocks there was the match lock. just so much fun to hunt with. i hope to take a big game critter this year but if not oh well still great times. good luck man

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:08 am »
^^^^^As said by me in exodus! lol my fathers screen name
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 02:10:58 am »
Hahahah ;D ;D...  you gotta way with words, JW.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline robby

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:56 am »
HaHaHa, Good story JD!!! Were it me, I would have run smack into that four foot rock wall, as that part of my mind that still thinks we are twenty seems to hold sway, and has yet to reconcile with my old man legs, it does sometimes result in outcomes the beg the question, "what the he77 was I thinking?'.
This years deer and flintlock.

I don't have as many flintlocks as I do bows, but I'm working on it! ;)
Robby

Offline nlester

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:16 am »
Robby,
That's what I'm talking about!!  Congrats man. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 12:10:42 am »
ooooooh, that's pretty. :) the deer, too.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline nlester

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
FYI I bought me a .50 Cal flintlock. Just kind of fell in my lap. Got a heck of a deal and am pretty excited to shoot it. Got a week before muzzleloader season opens. Hopefully I can get it all put together before then.