Author Topic: Is this HopHornbeam?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Dictionary

Is this HopHornbeam?
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:19 pm »
I think it is. But i'm not sure. You can click on the pics to enlarge them..

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dictionary

Re: Is this HopHornbeam?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »
Here's another better shot at the bark. Click to enlarge.

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:07:17 am »
It does look like hophornbeam to me too. Tough stuff.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 12:18:44 am »
Without a doubt. You can see the slight variations it has from tree to tree. Some have bark that breaks into rectangles and others it turns silvery and shaggy.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:13:36 am »
yup, thats hophornbeam

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:25:58 am »
I think so but look at the bark. It will split out with a fearsome spiral. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:58 am »
I think it is, the bark looks right. Look for hops like seed pods and catkins to be sure.

Haven't noticed any pods. Maybe not at this time of the year or maybe not until the tree matures to a certain age does it develop them? This wood grows in small diameter saplings all over the place and in larger trees. A lot of the bark spirals around the larger trees.

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:23 am »
That's one of my gripes about hophornbeam(although I do like it) is that you'll have to look at a number of trees before you find one that's bow worthy IMO. I believe the "hop" looking clusters are out in late spring and early summer only.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
That's one of my gripes about hophornbeam(although I do like it) is that you'll have to look at a number of trees before you find one that's bow worthy IMO. I believe the "hop" looking clusters are out in late spring and early summer only.

I've had to cut many undesirable trees with small dips and instrusions all around the wood. We'll see in a couple of months time whether i can make a bow from such wood.

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:14:20 pm »
Hophornbeam is a tough wood(its not nicknamed Ironwood for nuttin),and can stand a lot of abuse and character...a lot of folks call it poor mans osage,but it still isn't osage..lol. :laugh: