Author Topic: Is this guy on here?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
Is this guy on here?
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »
"Man keeps alleged burglars at bay with home-made bow and arrow"

http://fox40.com/2012/11/24/man-keeps-alleged-burglar-at-bay-with-bow-and-arrow/

I have to wonder if this guy is one of us.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Is this guy on here?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »
I don't think that guy own a computer.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »
If anyone has his address, I wanna send him a subscription to Primitive Archer!  Anyone notice his form?  Not half bad, not half bad at all!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 05:26:05 pm »
Glad that wasn't me with the bow, I got an itchy trigger finger and I'm a snap shooter to boot. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 05:50:21 pm »
Guy needs a new bow.  8)
Some form he has there too.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 06:57:26 pm »
They let the burglar go?  That guy seemed like a character.  Good for him for defending his house.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 07:22:50 pm »
There is a guy here in Reno,that did the same thing,only in his case,the guy was trying to break down the front door.He yelled out to the burglar,that he was armed and would shoot if he entered.Guess the guy didnt believe him till he entered the room and was staring at a sharp broadhead.The guy layed down on his belly and waited for the cops to come haul him away.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:50:00 pm »
Thats awesome, the bow I mean  ;D Pretty neat how he made it 30yrs ago, any guesses on draw weight? maybe 30-45lbs? Cool story eh?

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »
I think I would take a bullet over a broadhead anyday

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »
I'd imagen that a nice fat broadhead would be more intimidating than a handgun
I like free stuff.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:49 pm »
I'd be robbed because I would refuse to hold my bow at full draw that long.  Maybe I'll build a bow with 27" of set so it just looks like I'm at full draw.......?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »
First off, I'm not trying to start a political debate and I don't claim to know all of the laws involved or the all the circumstances of this incident but doesn't something seem off that you can prevent someone from LEAVING your yard with a deadly weapon. The person allegedly didn't steal anything or threaten anyone imminently and the man said that he would shoot him if he tried to leave. Aren't deadly weapons supposed to be for self defense? I'm not trying to say that the kid belonged in his yard I'm not even saying it was wrong to present him with a weapon but threatening to shoot him if he tries to leave seems a little excessive. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it's kind of asking for a not so dangerous situation to potentially turn quite dangerous for both parties.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:28:37 am by Weylin »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 10:58:57 pm »
Weylin's point is valid.  There is a concept in law of "proportionate response).  For example, someone spits on your lawn and you shoot them, that is a reponse that is a little out of proportion.  However, if someone attacks you with a weapon, you have the right to defend yourself proportionally. 

Sometimes in the past the courts have said it's unfair to defend yourself with a gun when you are attacked with a knife, but deadly force is just that...deadly force.  Doesn't matter if it is a broken beer bottle or a howitzer cannon, if you can make a case that you were threatened with deadly force, you can respond with deadly force. 

In this case, I bet they gave the old guy a lecture and laughed all the way back to the stationhouse about how the kid filled his Fruit-of-the-looms. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »
I can agree. But I think the guy was paranoid of being robbed again to the point where he stops anything that hops his fence.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:11 am »
 I think the story is great and the old boy should get a life time subscription. I hear what you are saying Weylin but keep in mind the guy was trespassing. If I found someone in my shop without permission I would naturally assume an attempted robbery. Especially if it had happened before. We have signs on the fence that state the property is patrolled by our Shepard's. The one sign that says our shepherd can reach the fence in 2.5 seconds is fairly accurate. Some may not like that idea or mindset but our dogs are trained to know the difference between a threat or a friend, and they are trained to protect for reason. Some people like electronic surveillance and we like the non electric surveillance. ;D