Author Topic: Vintage lemonwood(?) bow.(pics Posted)  (Read 13390 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Vintage lemonwood(?) bow.(pics Posted)
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:37 am »
So ive promised my friend that i will make him a bowstring for his grandpas osage bow. His grandpa bought it YEARS ago and is estimated to have been made in the 1910-20s maybe 30s(according to him) not sure. But. When his grandpa passed it on to his dad, his dad took excellent care of it(according to him, haven't seen it yet.) i am hoping it can be shot. i am being entrusted with this bow to make a string, and if it all looks really good, to shoot it. When i post pics you lot can see if it seems to be safe(ill get my sis to take pics with her nice cam to get details)

What do you all think about the likelihood it will shoot again, given it was taken good care of, and the age of the bow? When i get the pics up i will need tips on how to get it into working shape, granted its not badly damaged.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:58:25 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline steve b.

Re: Vintage Osage bow.(pics will arrive as soon as my friend gets it to me)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:46:27 am »
What I know about old bows is just what I've read and so I would not do it unless you don't care if the bow lives.  I do know someone who has lots of old bows like that and he would know.  PM me if you're interested and I'll give you his number.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:54:31 am »
yeah, i understand that is possible, i wont do anything with it if it needs repairs or would need care to make it function again. Its up to his family of course, but if they give the go ahead then maybe. he may have been wrong about the bow age, because this is what the wood color looked like to him. This isn't the bow, but i was trying to determine the wood that the bow was made of, and that's approx the color that he identified it as.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 05:30:28 am »
I'm looking forward to seeing it......

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
Alright! Here's what we have.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »
Stop shaking the camera!  ;) It's kinda hard to see the details. I'm thinking it's not osage because of the two tones [EDIT: Oh, I see that the darker wood is just the riser, never mind.] what is it backed with? is it a laminate or is it one piece of wood?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:08:53 pm by Weylin »

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
more pics.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 07:08:43 pm »
More pics.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 07:12:27 pm »
I know what you mean! i need to get some stabilizing thing... I have no clue as to what the backing is, but the backing is very thin, could be less than 1/16 in. There are two pieces of wood in the handle section because its a very thin handle. 1.5 inches deep but less than an inch wide. The tips are narrow, and the grooves are just on the sides. The backing is de-laming.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »
Is it possible that the backing is fiberglass?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »
im not sure, it almost seems to have a grain to it, because its black it allows me to see under light a wiggle in the "grain" of the back. But in all honesty i have no idea what it is.

Offline paulsemp

Re: Vintage Osage bow.(pics Posted)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »
I would put a string on it and don't string it. Give it a happy retirement on a wall. Would be a shame to have lasted all those years to break now. Make a new bow.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 07:59:03 pm »
Ill be honest, he may really want to get it working. I have heard that many of these older bows can work again if properly worked to full draw again. I will have to ask him again knowing that it has a delam. If any of you know of someone who fixes these kind of old bows then that would be great!(even one of you lot  ;) ) He is about 15 years old, but his dad gave it to him to shoot, when i ask again about if he wants it to work, or if he would like to leave well enough alone he and his dad can talk it over.

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:19 pm »
i had one very similiar to that one.my backing was a fiber card backing that they used before glass.they also used that fiber backing for electronic circut boards.it probably is lemonwood.they used it alot before the trade embargo against cuba.that is where lemonwood(degame)comes from.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline tdeland

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »
I think a moisture meter is a good idea to make sure it is not too dry. and de-lam can be re-lammed, glue is stronger than wood in most cases. Good luck, but I do agree it might a better show piece.