Author Topic: Crossbows?  (Read 23339 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Crossbows?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 07:58:06 pm »
http://198.144.2.125/Crossbows/crossbows.htm

On this webpage, the guy takes you through the entire process of building a crossbow. I have high speed, and it takes forever to open, but is worth it. He does fantastic work, and his pieces look totally fun.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 08:50:52 pm »
On the one I am working on I wanted to keep as primitive as possible so I started out using a piece of Osage to hold the string. It blew as soon as I cocked it. I then tried Horn. It lasted 2 shots then blew so now I am working on one made of Copper. It should hold
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Far East Archer

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2007, 08:18:34 am »
Interesting stuff! :) 
Hey Marc, How heavy is the prod? I remember Jaro talking about Antler roller nuts used around 12th century or something. Weird how the horn didn't hold up, too thin maybe? Well that copper should hold up. Please post pics when its done. ;D

-Alex

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 08:31:49 am »
Actually Anna Komnena, describing "Franks" - that is Normans described roller nut crossbow in the time of first crusade.

Marc, can you post a picture, I have made few, perhaps I ll know where is problem.

We now think that they used moose antler roller nut and I have checked and there was still moose in my country at 15. century. They did also imported raw stuff from scandinavia. There are examples of roller nuts made from thinner pieces of antler, riveted together, but I think this was only a emergency solution and all I know are from time when crossbow ceased to be military weapon.

This is what I made, but its the type with a notch lock.

Jaro

Offline Joe

Phillipipine Crossbow?
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 08:48:30 pm »
Hi Everyone~ I was wondering if someone could help me identify the following. All I know is that my Grandfather received it as a gift from some tribe when serving in the military. (Air-force). When he died in 1977, I remember a man storming into my Grandmother's house demanding to buy it. She said no. Not that she knew anything about it .. just that her husband hadn't even been buried yet! And then it got passed down to me. I would appreciate any expert council.
See photos at: http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/zellasbar/media/IMG_9412.jpg.html

Offline adb

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »
Blow gun?