Author Topic: Little Yew Recurve  (Read 4050 times)

Offline adb

Little Yew Recurve
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:13:02 pm »
I guess today is posting pics day!! Here's another bow I finished a while back, but haven't posted yet. It's a little yew recurve. It's 60" ntn, and 1 3/8" at the fades, tapering (more or less) evenly to the 3/8" tips. I was hoping to get more than the 30# it gave up, but the upper limb was riddled with a herd of pin knots. By the time I got down to solid wood, all that was left was 30#@28". So, I decided to flip the tips and give it a bit more cast. The grip is the rest of the Ostrich leather I had left.

Offline adb

Re: Little Yew Recurve
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:14:05 pm »
Couple more pics, and the money shot. I added some tiny osage tip overlays, to keep the soft yew from being damaged.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »
amazing! what a wonderful little bow! it would make a beginning archer very happy i bet!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »
Here's what I was talking about on the upper limb... almost the entire limb is a cluster of pin knots. I was pretty happy to get any sort of a bow out of this stave.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:20:28 pm »
amazing! what a wonderful little bow! it would make a beginning archer very happy i bet!

Yup... I'm sure I'll give it to a kid, or someone just starting out. It's a great little bow... easy to handle and draw... very light weight.

Otherwise, I had considered backing it with sinew... but I think a guy has to learn when enough is enough. I ruined more than one functioning bow by 'just trying to make it a bit better!' How does that go?... perfection is the enemy of good.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »
That's a "pretty" sissy bow  ;)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »
I LIKE it!  Very nicely done!   I really like the grip.  The natural wood looks beautiful!   Those pin knots are crazy.   Nice job!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 05:27:38 pm »
That yew is really cool looking. We don't have that down here. Looks like you really did it justice. Some young person will really like that, for sure!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »
Polished beauty there :) :) :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »
That yew is really cool looking. We don't have that down here. Looks like you really did it justice. Some young person will really like that, for sure!

I don't have yew where I live either. Closest yew is 2000 kms west, on Vancouver Island. Yew becomes bloody expensive by the time I get my hands on it. That's why I was a bit disappointed this stave didn't deliver a bit more.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 06:22:37 pm »
that island sounds familiar...  ::) probably because i live in the same state
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Bowman

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 06:35:26 pm »
Fantastic bow. Nice to se yew flatbows. I LIKE IT !!!!!! :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
that island sounds familiar...  ::) probably because i live in the same state

??? ??? Vancouver Island in part of British Columbia, which is a province in Canada.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
beautiful bow and nice work handling the pin knots. i hope to be able to make a bow from a yew tree. i dont have any near me. im in kentucky
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
For all you mass theory buffs... this boweighs 365 grams. Very light.