Author Topic: 31" Draw ELB for Xmas  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: 31" Draw ELB for Xmas
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:46:36 pm »
Very nice Del.  Pity about the splice failure.  I wouldn't trust a splice on a longbow unless I was sure it wasn't working especially if the bow is going out to someone else.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »
Very nice Del.  Pity about the splice failure.  I wouldn't trust a splice on a longbow unless I was sure it wasn't working especially if the bow is going out to someone else.
Yeah, I'm relieved I decided to give it a good shooting in at the full 31" it would have been horrid if it folde in half on Christmas day :o
It was only 50# at 31".
I was a bit surprised as I've seen a similar splice of a 170# warbow! Mind it was made by Roy King.
All part of the learning experience, like the old saying goes, pride comes before a fall... doubly true in bowmaking I reckon.
If I can pull off the repair, I'll make damn sure I shoot a good 100 through it and test it back to 32"
Cheers.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »
Looks like a nice shooter. I broke my 3rd. bow twice in the handle area running along the grain. At any rate I glued it where it came apart. The bow eventually snaped but not in the 2 spots that were repaired.
It was due to my inexperience in tillering.
Having said that, ya some bows can be saved. :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:59 pm »
Hate to see that break Del, sorry. That bow was a highly polished beauty, hope your able to make the repair.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 03:25:57 am »
At least it salvageable.... what a beautiful Bow! if it don't go together well for you you could always make it into it take apart, and then send it to me >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 04:42:30 am »
If anyone can repair it and make it back into a lethal weapon, it's you Derek.
Keep us updated.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bowman

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »
Very cool bow. I liked the handle area.  :D That kind of break/damage are not funny :-\
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 12:33:47 am »
Oh Del, what a heartbreaker!  When I saw the full draw picture, that sweet creamy sapwood against the heartwood, I thought I was seeing a glimpse through the pearly gates.  That full draw was sheer beauty.  Hope this one can be recovered. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 04:36:13 am »
What a shame....
Interesting to hear Marc say that he doesn't trust splices in elb's. I've made a few that work in the handle and are still going strong, around 60lb'ers I think. The reason most handle splices go is either shoddy mating work or them being perfect and being clamped up too hard then getting starved of glue.
I really like hide glues for splices as there is no need to clamp and they shrink as they dry pulling everything together. You only need to hold them in place until the glue gels. Mind you need to be pretty confident in your processes! People will nay say about using hide glues but they are immensly strong and as long as you use a good finish there is no need to worry about moisture isssues just get your mating surfaces perfect and let nature do her job :)

Offline Markus

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 11:59:39 am »
Too bad, but it happens sometimes. It has happened to me also, even with a Z splice. I was a smart ass trying to hide a fairly large knot inside the splice, did'nt work out. >:( Markus.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:11 am »
This looks like a great opportunity for learning,  and I have a funny feeling that you will be up for it.
Beautiful bow before she let go,  that photo of the yew contrast and arrow pass is stunning.

Looking forward to seeing this one come back together!

Jamie
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »
Just caight this break Del. Sorry about that....
I'm no expert by any means, but I also wouldn't trust a bendy handle splice without some type of reinforcement.
First thing that occured to me was to laminate a slat of horn over the next splice.If you extend it out abit it looks like a nice grip overlay too. Not really ELB traditional but insurance just the same.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:55 pm »
Bad luck Del...beautiful work anyway.... the butterfly was an omen...I believe in omens and I'm not soft!!!??

Dave
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:05:56 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......