Author Topic: alternative bow string  (Read 13608 times)

Offline Shondy55

alternative bow string
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:45:19 pm »
hey guys,
Im currently building a kids bow, and im on a little bit of a time crunch.  i was wondering what i could make a cheap, easy, and effective bowstring out of.  material that is readily available and easy to get would be best, thanks!
                                        -Shondy
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline kevinsmith5

Re: alternative bow string
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:22:03 pm »
I've used the hemp cord that Michael's has for jewelry to make an endless loop. I've also used pre-stressed paracord. Hung a 45 pound weight from it for several days.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:38:45 pm »
baler twine
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 02:16:02 pm »
A 1/4# spool of B50 costs <$10. You could probably make 50 or more strings (a guess) from it. I'd say that's about as cheap as it comes. Plus, it's low stretch, purpose made material. Do you have an archery supplier close by? Otherwise, you could make a reasonable string from artificial sinew.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:05:55 pm »
Artificial sinew has more stretch than hemp cord. I actually use the hemp on purpose to make a string for a SCA bow (looks more old fashioned). The same strength in hemp is heavier than b-50, so it's a little (few fps) slower. Para cord I only use for youth bows.

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »
It should be said that there are 2 types of artificial sinew - nylon and polyester. The flat shreddable stuff from Tandy leather is polyester and is low stretch and very nice for bowstrings (same stuff as B50 - all Dacron is polyester but not all polyester is Dacron - Dacron is a brand name). I also have some of the nylon stuff (twisted like cordage) and it is not good for bowstrings - too stretchy.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 06:52:41 pm »
3/16 or 5/32 braided polyester or polypropolene cord- hardware store.
It stretches a little initially, but settles down eventually- i tie one end to a tree and pull hard to stretch it at first.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:48:25 pm »

I'm with adb on this one. ;) 
If You buy anything other than B-50 or other bow string you are wasting your coin..!

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell