Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 84117 times)

Offline lowell

Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »
Hunted this morning... probably the last time this season. Was hunting on the ground and enjoying myself.  Was about 40 yards from one of my tree stands. 

Saw 3 deer walk under that stand and every one looked up at the stand just as if they were taught to look both directions before they crossed a street, they were also taught to look up at a tree stand before they went under it!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2008, 10:22:18 pm »
They get that way this time of year, gotta Rambo out and bury yourself in a bank of mud ;D. Can't wait for bow season next year - I'll be more prepared and ready (while their still ignorant) of hunters. Taking the daughter huntin next weekend (I hope) for the last youth season (does only). Hopefully we'll (or she'll) connect with something....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2008, 11:56:08 pm »
I went this evening and killed my first deer with a selfbow. I never had much trouble killing a deer with my other recurves and longbows but with my selfbow, man it's been tough! It seems like every time i've had deer in range they've always been facing me or some odd angle besides broadside. I've even had a few too close to shoot.
  Since our rifle season has been over, i've had a lot of trouble just seeing deer, much less getting a shot. The one I got this evening was just a yearling doe but i'm just as proud of her as I would be a nice buck.  It was about a 10 yard shot through her liver and the back of her left lung. I waited 30 min. and checked the trail for about 10 yards. I had good blood right off so I kept following it and found her about 50 yards from where I shot her. ;D ;D ;D
  I just started making bows this past spring and since then have made four bows from one particular log and 3 of them have taken a deer this fall.  That tree had some good mojo in it!  I'm sending wvflintknapper a stave from it, maybe it will be lucky for him too.
 Our season is over next Monday and I still have one more doe tag so who knows, maybe i'll get lucky again. :)   

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:33 am »
Way to go Shannon - yeah, sounds like you got some serious mojo goin on there. Congrats on the deer you've taken - I'm only hoping to take my first with my own equipment next year ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2008, 12:04:18 am »
SWEEEEEET! There's nothing like it, is there Shannon? I've been trying to tell you that........congrats on yer first selfbow deer, we want picture's!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2008, 12:08:10 am »
  Congradulations Shannon ! "and the beat goes on " The thrill never stops fer ya huntin' life. Good fer ya bro' !...........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2008, 01:49:42 am »
Way to go Shannon. I've been hunting with my stuff for 3 years now and just haven't had a decent shot opportunity. I slung an arrow at a small doe last year but it was in frustration :-[ and she was too far out anyway.  >:D  Maybe next year will be my year.
   You know we need pics!!!       Pat

ps. got ant extra mojo?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2008, 06:27:56 am »
Way to go Shannon,nothing like your first.Had the kids down this weekend the regular season is over here so we let the get after them.They took 2 does ,of course it was with guns but they are only 7-10 so that is fine with me.They had several more chances but just couldn't make it happen.
That is what the youth hunt is all about,teaching them what to do and not to do. :)Now back to
bow building. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2008, 08:16:14 am »
Congrats Shannon on your first selfbow kill! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2008, 09:03:10 pm »
Ok fellas, as requested here are some pictures. Now I don't want to hear anything about the milk stains around it's mouth ;D Everybody knows them little ones are harder to hit!  Really, I almost hit her too far back. The arrow went in high on her right side and came out about 4" farther forward and right on the edge of the white belly hair on the left side. If I had hit her any farthe back, I still would have found her, I would have just waited till the next day. As it was, she only went about 50 yards and was dead in minutes... Just the way I like it.
 Pat, I know where you live, I have diehard bowhunting friends that live in Haywood and Buncomb Co. bowhunting them mountain is tough!!!  People go to Cades cove or up on Cataloochi and see all the deer and leave thinking that there's plenty of deer there. WRONG, one antlered buck per 6 square miles is pretty slim.  I envy the man that consistently kills any deer over there. Your time will come, and when it does, you will have definitely earned it! 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »
Congrats on a yer first Shannon, nice and tender mmmmmm tasty ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:05 pm »
Nice deer and great picture's Shannon.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05:07 pm »
Just one question? what kinda arrow did you use?  ::)
You know I couldnt let that one go....... ;D

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2008, 01:31:35 am »
I ain't tellin! All i'll say is that old habits die hard and that this weekend i'll be shooting cedar.  ;) Gonna go cut me some cane in a day or two also.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2008, 01:46:57 am »
Shannon, a true trophy. IMO 
     I've been hoping for a dumbax deer to walk by me but I think they figured who the dumbax be! ;D
  These mountain coves and ridges are hard to figure out as far as wind goes. I don't think you can figure them out.  >:(    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC