Author Topic: Need some advice with 3-piece takedown bow plans  (Read 4071 times)

Offline BrandonB

Need some advice with 3-piece takedown bow plans
« on: November 20, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »
Hi y'all,  I'm still pretty new to the land of bow making, and I was wanting to see if I could ask for some advice. 

So far in my bow-making quest, I've managed to make one heckuva pretty wall ornament out of a piece of red-oak (she was SUPPOSED to be a 70" AFB but a bugger of a hinge in the upper limb kinda put a stop to that).  I was expecting to get frustrated, and just put it up for a while when that happened, but instead found myself thinking "ya know what, the NEXT one's gonna be twice as good."

But based on my previous experience, I've decided to try and not put all my eggs in one bow staff, so to speak, so I'm going to try and make a 3-piece takedown recurve.  I know it's not going to be the easiest build in the world, but hey, that's half the fun.  Anyways, I was wanting to see if I could get some input on the design I came up with.  I drew up plans to do a kind of sanity check on myself.  I'm just going from numbers I pulled from all over the web on the general lengths and sizes of stuff.  I just want to make sure I'm off on the right path when I start building this sucker.  Ideally, it'll be about 45# to 50# at a 29" draw (I'm 6'2").  I know there's no discussion of the limbs yet, I'm still in the process of researching those, but I'm thinking I'll use bamboo as the core with .040 fiberglass for the lams.

If they look good and if anyone wants to use my plans, then that's fine by me as well :P  Hopefully, I'll be able to take some pictures as I build it.

p.s. this is my first post with an attachment, so sorry in advance if it fails... should just be a little .pdf file with my plans.

-- Brandon

Offline bubby

Re: Need some advice with 3-piece takedown bow plans
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:30:33 pm »
first we dont talk f-glass here, all natural materials, and a three pc is a pretty big jump in skill from a selfbow, i'm not saying not to try but i'd try and get a few bows under my belt first if i was you, and i've built about 6 3 pc bows, and i cant see your plans, i've made 50# bows with lams that were belly cuts from pyramid bows so man made materials are not needed,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Need some advice with 3-piece takedown bow plans
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:44 am »
Like buddy said on glass, :( that being understood he is right on a pretty good leap with little experience in building bows,you may want to look at the one Marc just posted in this section,it is all natural and about what you are talking about. :)
On a side note,half the fun isn't for me to try and build something I know nothing about it is working my way up to stuff that takes more knowledge and skill level. :)
By the way welcome to PA,not trying to discourage you just love to see folks succeed in their first bows and get a shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good