Author Topic: The Four Horsemen (bows)  (Read 4203 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: The Four Horsemen (bows)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 02:30:55 pm »
Holten, I think what's great about this idea is that it allows us to accurately compare designs by limiting the variables. I personally will probably attempt what I put forth above but your bows will test the merits of trapping and design. One could make several D bows of different cross sections. Although tons of testing has already been done and published on the merits of design and performance, I think this is a fun way to find out for ourselves and put our skills to the test. You know you love these challenges!  ;D

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 03:42:07 pm »
Found a pipe straight white oak tree for some staves. Can't even begin to describe how difficult it was to cut down by hand. Got the ends sealed up and after the glue dries and I get feeling back in my hands I'll take the bark off, leave it for a few days to dry in normal conditions, then stick it in the hot box. The things I do for love!

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 09:41:06 pm »

Blackhawk, Definitely important to get a very straight tree to avoid that. Good point. If I can find a tree to cut they'll be done by the end of the week!  ;)

Its about the end of the week in a few hours...ya done yet  :laugh:

Good choice on the white oak..they grow pipe straight by the ton...I'd def heat treat em all as well...make a Andaman holmgaard for your fourth..cus that way they are all straight designs side profile wise..n no reflex inducing in any and have them all start out dead straight n also monitor and record set in all four.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 12:55:12 am »
Between cutting the tree down and the proceeding days of soreness after, I haven't been able to work on them as much as I'd hoped. Going to try and get the staves roughed out tomorrow for faster drying.

I was thinking the same thing for the fourth design and also about the heat treating although I was considering heating the same amount of reflex in each. I'm going to really try and follow the mass principle with these ones and its going to be important that they're at the proper MC. Hopefully it won't take too long but I'm definitely not going to rush the process.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 09:52:50 am »
Very interesting thread...

I was hoping to see "The Four Horesmen" bows too!  Guess we will soon.  I'm anxious to see how things turn out.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:17 am »
Been following this thread from the start.  Interested to see the results!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.