Author Topic: xmas bow for a friend, i need a lil help  (Read 814 times)

Offline shookmonster

xmas bow for a friend, i need a lil help
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:53:13 pm »
I have a osage stave that is im guessing 20years old, dry as can be, it has some cracks in the back but once i started getting to one growth ring on the back the cracks arnt present, Im going for a 50- 60 lb at 28, im thinking 68 inch ntn, going from 2 inch at the handle faded to 1/2 inch tips, this will be my second osage self bow, im using the first one i made as a templete almost.

any ideas or suggestions on how to get it to that weight?  Im thinking limbs will be around 1/2 inch thick?  please give some suggestions

Offline RyanY

Re: xmas bow for a friend, i need a lil help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:01:08 pm »
I made a similar osage bow last summer that was 64" ntn and 50#@28". Tapered from 2" at the fades to 3/8" tips. I think the piece of was was not particularly dense for osage as the limbs were almost 5/8" for about the whole length. If it's a pyramid taper from the fades to the tips then your thickness is going to be close to constant along the length of the limb. If you're unsure about the piece start thick and work down. You can always take wood off but you can't put it back on!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: xmas bow for a friend, i need a lil help
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 02:11:17 pm »
2 inches wide and 68 inches long is overkill.  It won't break, but it will be heavy and cumbersome.  If the back is in good condition, I would think about 1.5" wide and 64-66" long.  Limbs won't be 1/2" thick, especially at those dimensions.  Don't know your skill level but you can easily get a durable 50ish lb bow from Osage at these dimensions.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.