Author Topic: Some random questions x3  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Shondy55

Some random questions x3
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »
hey guys,
i have three questions for ya today
1. how many layers of linen backing would be good for backing a bow
2. what is the best thing to use for sealing the backs and ends of staves???
3. what would be good dimensions for a kids bow, the kid is around 4'9" tall i was guessing a bow around fifty inches would be good, pulling around #25 @23inch.  any suggestions??
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Some random questions x3
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »
1. i'd say 2 or 3 depending on the bow
2. any good wood finish will work i use a wipe on poly some even use elmers white school glue
3. depends on the wood of course, but for something like red oak i would go with a bout 1 3/8" wide and about 55" long with a slightly narrowed but still working handle
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:41 pm »
 1. Depends on what sort of linen we are talking about. I use 1 layer of high quality fabric with much success. If you are talking raw  unwoven I have no experiencee with that.
2. Anything from glue to parafin wax ,paint, shelac, your choice . Cheap and easy is the way to go
3.Make it bigger and heavier than you think he/she needs . They grow into and out of them quick ,and it doesn't hurt the bow to be drawn a little less than planned.15# is a good starting weight for kids,say around 8-10 years old. Make the arrows good and light  so it shoots fast and try to get it as close to center shot as possible because you'll have a bugger trying to spine for a 15 # bow.
 Just my 2cents , hopefully others will add theirs so you can choose the answers that best suit you.
 Cheers, Dave.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »
personally i'd only use one, anything more is just added weight,
glue or paint work good to seal
that's a good length but the# depend on the kid, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹