Author Topic: Limb width on non-decrowned Osage  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
Limb width on non-decrowned Osage
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »
What's the maximum width feasible for the limbs on a 66" non-decrowned osage stave if I want to leave it unbacked.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:11:37 pm by Scaramouche »

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Limb width on non-decrowned Osage
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:01:54 pm »
well, on average, you can get away with 1 1/4 inches wide for most osage bows, depending on what style you are building you may need to go wider or narrower. Its well known that osage can have limbs less wide than most other woods, i would imagine anything more than 2 inches(unless you have some crazy design) would be overkill. In fact, even for a 50 inch molle to pull 50ish lbs you would really only need about 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 inches wide.(source: blackhawk)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:06:32 pm »
Hmm. I may have taken a bit too much off of the belly floor-tillering it then.  :-[

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
I should add, if you are talking about severe crown you may want to either back it or make it a bit narrower. You still will get a hunting weight bow from a 1 1/4 inch wide bow limb, but really if its not too severe then you will be fine. Otherwise you would either need to decrown if you are afraid it will break in tension and then back it. Or just back it.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »
if you did you can always add rawhide or sinew to add extra thickness and move the tension to the backing instead of the osage. Remember, even if you take it down quite a bit you should be able to pull out with something rather heavy if you take some other route. maybe one of the more experienced bowyers can chime in as to how much thickness(aprox) a nice weight bow should have when tillered.(or rough tillered.)

Offline Scaramouche

• Don't just exist.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
I don't have any sinew, but I've heard taxidermists would have some. Would they have rawhide as well?

If I decrowned it, I'd have to back it, right?

I'll have to post some pics later tonight when my wife gets home with her camera. I would like to know what common thicknesses are for the fades, mid-limb, and tips for a flatbow.

But for now, I have to go chop firewood.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »
Explain your situation better, or what your after. Rawhide adds nothing but protection. Sinew only goes so far with added weight. Decrowning wont help anything either.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.