Author Topic: Paying back a good turn...advancing the tradition...  (Read 1751 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Paying back a good turn...advancing the tradition...
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
My local taxidermist did me a good turn and saved a bunch of turkey wings for me. In an effort to come up with a way to repay him for saving them for me I asked if he would like a traditional bow or something. Since he didn't seem too interested, I asked if he had any kids that I could make one for. He said his 11 year old son had mentioned he would like to try a bow, but had a compound in mind. I told him I could make him something he might like. The first bow I made was a white oak backed ipe, but I cut one of the limbs a little narrow and it developed some stress fractures and I didn't want to chance it breaking on him. His replacement bow is my first linen backed bow and is a 58" n2n white oak bendy handle with built up leather handle and ipe tip overlays. I ran the linen to about 6 inches from the tips. I stained the main body of the bow mahogany and the tips are dyed with oxblood leather dye. I wrapped the transition with gold dacron. The string on the bow in the braced pic is from my son's recurve and is a little short. I still have to make the string. The quiver is some bamboo I picked up at a flea market. I used the oxblood on the ends and wrapped the transition with hemp. I still have to put the strap on it. The arm guard is from some scrap leather I had. It is 30# at 25 in. Here are some pics.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:09:35 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline seabass

Re: Paying back a good turn...advancing the tradition...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »
way to pass it on.you did good man.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51:19 pm »
That's a fine rig for him to learn to shoot with.  Good job Kenny!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:06:38 pm »
Very nice steup. He'll kiss the wheels goodbye.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »
This is what its all about guys. Great gesture...

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:50:26 am »
good looking set up, that otta keep him away from wheelie's for  a while, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »
Keep at it Bulldog! Eventually even the strongest wheelie will crumble. Your a good hearted man Kenny.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:43:17 pm »
Thanks, guys. I forgot to mention when I took the bow in the other day to show him how it looked so far, he asked me if I ever needed any horn or hides and showed me a box of left over exotic animal capes and deer and elk antler pieces he had accumulated. He said he generally gives them to the boy scouts about once a year, but that I could have all I wanted. The hair-on hides looked big enough to make some nice quivers.  :P  Mighty nice of him, I'd say!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:11:57 pm »
Good lookin set there.....there's just something about a lad and a wood bow....good on ya buddy.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »
Lucky kid!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.