Author Topic: starting my first osage bow. I have a few ?s W/pics.  (Read 9678 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: starting my first osage bow. I have a few ?s W/pics.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 11:26:47 am »
I can't help with backed bows.I've never done a wooden or bamboo backed bow but that is some mighty fine looking  selfbow wood. I like 8% for osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline possum

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 01:59:06 pm »
I think those are the billets I was biddin' on. >:(  At least I know who got them.   ;D  Have fun with them.  I was gonna splice some and make take downs.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

330bull

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 11:36:26 am »
I recommend a Nicholson #50 rasp if you start looking for one.  They're ~$50 but after using it on my last osage bow I deeply regret not getting one earlier.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 09:24:49 pm »
Thanks guys I do have 2 rasps One is a small 4 way and the other is a large feriers rasp.
I started on one billet yesterday and once I got the bark off I found a deep crack down the back and a deep worm hole. I was able to get through both and have enough left for the bow. I think following growth rings is fun I like how you can feel when you hit the light colored part and then it gets smooth again when you are through. I had been intimidated by osage because you need to follow a ring. Now that Ive tried it I love it. Much more fun than making a backed bow so far.I like that no 2 will ever be the exact same.                        Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark