Author Topic: cracked molly  (Read 1178 times)

Offline bushboy

cracked molly
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:52 pm »
i built a mollegabet 65" ttt ,1" @ the handle and 2 3/8 wide at the fades tapering down to 2" at the beginning of the lever transition wich is 11" from the nock.the bow was 55# @ 28" quarter sawn red oak and shot very nice.i got roughly 500 arrows thru it when i heard a crack.it cracked on the upper fade half way where the bow go from being wide and flat to narrow and thick i guess the limb to lever transition. the crack is vertical about 3/4 of an inch long on the back side and 1/4" on the belly.i left it braced and flexed lever to aply some super glue then unbraced it and put it aside.pretty sure i got good glue penetration ,flexed the lever after a few days and it held ,but would like some advice on a patch.it cracked right on the grain line and if i were to put a very thin lam of osage or walnut to carry from the tip to about 13"down it would cover it nicely,think this might work? thxs bobbyjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

blackhawk

Re: cracked molly
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:55:30 pm »
Pics wood be best to give the proper advice, but I'm guessing you can prob just wrap it with sinew,serving,etc in titebondIII and it will be ok. Sounds like a run off crack at the fade of the lever because you didn't make a smooth enough transition and it does have stress there even if it is stiff. And make sure all your edges are nice n rounded off thru out the whole bow and it'll help prevent this and splinters lifting(as long as you chose proper grain).