Author Topic: Question.....backing with hairs?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline campx

Question.....backing with hairs?
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:56:07 pm »
My buddy gave me two grocery bags full of alpaca hair, for tying flies with.  Since my flytying and steelheading has now taken a backseat to bowbuilding, I was wondering if you could back a bow with it.  Some of this hair has got to be over a foot long, and, well, it seemsto be tough stuff.   Just wondering if it has the properties needed to properly work.......

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Question.....backing with hairs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »
Sorry, can't offer any help on an opinion as a backing but I am a fly-tier as well...Steelheading is just warming up here.  How did you like the alpaca for tying?  Did you use it as a dubbing or for hair-streamers?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:23 pm »
would be better on the belly

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »
Sorry, can't offer any help on an opinion as a backing but I am a fly-tier as well...Steelheading is just warming up here.  How did you like the alpaca for tying?  Did you use it as a dubbing or for hair-streamers?

Well,well,well....looky who's back out to play >:D

No clue for a backing,but if a backings needed there's a lot of other "cheap" proven materials to use. What do you have that you think needs backed?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »
Hair should be similar to sinew. Medieval seige engines had their skeins made of twisted sinew, horse hair, or in dire circumstances the hair of the town's beseiged womenfolk!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »
i'd like to see a bowstring made of hair  ;)
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 04:55:51 pm »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's not going to have the same effect as sinew, so it would probably be strictly for looks. Maybe offer a little security for lifting splinters. It probably would look and feel similar to a flax backing. I have flax backed a couple bows. I'm just guessing though, might look kinda cool. If you have that much why not try it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:28:31 pm »
Hey what's that on your bow? Why it's human hair took me 10 hair cuts to get this done.
I like free stuff.

Offline campx

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:42:18 pm »
Lee;  I've used it for dubbing, and I have also dyed some of the lighter stuff in Kool-Aid to get some purples and oranges, for streamers.  I live on the world-famous Thompson River- I should be out there with my spey rod swinging for steel, but I'm still trying to get me mule deer!
I'm working on a plank maple molle right now, and some of the grain on the back is 'iffy'.  Just wondered about an alternative, just for the sake of being different.  I can't find flax around here, may need toorder some.