Author Topic: Finish  (Read 4216 times)

Offline bow101

Finish
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:04:28 am »
I noticed a lot of Bowyers have a thing for Tru-Oil. Any other oil finish that's considered. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:44:10 am by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Cloudfeather

Re: Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:56:48 am »
I've yet to use tru-oil on snake skins, but I can say that it doesn't work too well on carp. :/

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:13:56 am »
tung oil works great, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:24:57 am »
I use Tru-oil and spray polyurethane.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:24:45 am »
I've been using teak oil. dries fast , easy maintenance , good penetration , warm glow  .It's like tung oil. Made for exterior wood  surfaces.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:15 am »
I use rub on Tru oil and sometimes spray ploy,it work fine for me over snake skins and had no trouble over carp skins.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:14 am »
where do you guys get these finishes? Can they be found at Home Depot,Lowes, or hardware store?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:57 am »
Tru-oil is a gunstock finish so it would be found at a gun store or a sporting goods store. I ordered mine online. Things like tung oil, teak oil and poly could all likely be found at Lowes.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »
I use rub on Tru oil and sometimes spray ploy,it work fine for me over snake skins and had no trouble over carp skins.
   Pappy

Poly over carp has worked for me, but tru oil doesn't seem to want to cure. Any suggestions?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »
i just picked up some Minwax Polyurethane Satin...........gonna use it for arrows and the next bow i make. I'll see how it looks/functions.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »
I have used all the above and I keep going back to shellac. Goes on easy, dries faster than any of the above is hard as a rock and dries on oily woods like cocabolo and also does great on snake skins. I have never used fish skins yet.  Plus it is easy to fix a spot like a drip or run just by adding more to it. It also blends well and costs 13 bucks a can. The downside is you need more coats to thicken it up and it goes bad a bit faster. Keep in mind that with New shellac and proper drying conditions to can put on 10 coats in one day.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 08:01:37 am »
Sled,just make sure the skins are cured and free of oil,then I put on a pretty heavy
coat and let dry over night and then lightly buff with 000 steal wool from grip to tip and a coat a day until it is smooth,I do wipe it down with acetone before I start. Tru Oil needs a good drying time between coats,that is the only problem I see with it,but I usually ant in any big hurry so it works good for me. If you put
another coat on before the first is dry and cured the lower coat won't dry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »
I'll never have to worry about putting a finish on a snake skin, though I am will to finish a snake!

I used Walmart Colorplace spray lacquer for bows and arrows until the buzzards quit stocking it. Now I use lacquer sanding sealer. Makes a nice finish in one coat and  dries in a half hour.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:53 pm »
............until the buzzards quit stocking it. Good 'ole Wally World. If they have a problem with something they usually stop stocking the item. ;D

I'll never have to worry about putting a finish on a snake skin, though I am will to finish a snake!

I used Walmart Colorplace spray lacquer for bows and arrows until the buzzards quit stocking it. Now I use lacquer sanding sealer. Makes a nice finish in one coat and  dries in a half hour.

Jim Davis
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 07:46:05 pm »
Thanks, Pappy. When I do carp skins, I let them sit in the sun and leach the oils, cleaning them with acetone multiple times. I think the culprit is inadequate drying time of the first coat of tru oil. It's very tacky to the touch still.