Author Topic: R/D selfy hybrid(kind of), need second pair of eyes  (Read 2964 times)

Offline k-hat

R/D selfy hybrid(kind of), need second pair of eyes
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »
Been working on a funky little elm bow.  She's parallel width to 18", then width tapers last 11".  The limbs actually have different side profiles:  top limb deflexes pretty good outta the fade, then gradual reflex to last 8" where it has a deflex kink i couldn't get rid of.  The lower limb has very little deflex (induced with heat) outta the fade, then gradual reflex to the width taper where it takes a good kick forward.  So the top is r/d while the bottom is not so much!  (you shoulda seen her before i heated and wrestled the devil out of her!!)

I need a second pair of eyes to look at the r/d side, so i've copied and pasted so it looks like an entire bow with same profile on both sides.  How does she look so far to y'all??

Offline k-hat

Re: R/D selfy hybrid(kind of), need second pair of eyes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »
Just for grins, here's the other side.  Really more of a normal profile with that reflex n stiff tips, and a good sized lump/knot at midlimb:

Think i might have a  bit too much going on at the inner third and need to loosen up the outer two thirds past the knot.  That reflex area is working some, but i don't think it's doing it's fair share yet.  Even got the knot working some (used the "scoop" method i saw on Blackhawk's recent bow), but i'm not gonna touch it again till the very end.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:38:10 pm »
Kat that looks great to me. I see the flat spot that you think is slightly stiff but looking at the reflex in the same spot shows it is bending at that point.  It's real easy to get to much bend in an area that is reflexed and cause frets or failure. Sure looks like a fairly even amount of bending to me.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »
Thanks Keenan, appreciate the second look.  Anybody else ever notice those bumps and curves look a lot more pronounced in person than in the pictures.  After looking at the pics i posted, it don't look nearly as curvy as when i was lookin at it on the tree and in hand this morning!  Hoping to finish this tiller out tonite and get'r shot in and finished over the weekend :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:17:38 pm »
Ya well I'm new to this stuff but, looks like I would maybe get in bending a little more near the last third of the limb.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:30:28 pm »
Looking alright so far to me. How long is it and how far are you pulling? N what's ur intended draw?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »
You expect me to know all that offhand blackhawk?;)

66"ntn, that pic's at about 16" and 25#ish.  Pulled further than i intended to while taking the pic.  \
Gonna even the limbs and raise the brace before i do any more tweaking, then i'll start working her toward goals-- 45ish# @ 29".  Recipient is a tall lanky guy.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:53:34 am »
I like the dual photo.  I'd like to know if I'm wrong about this but it seems to me that the fades are working too much for 16".  And the rest of the limb looks stiff to me.  I'm thinking I want my fades working that much at full draw?  Please correct me. 

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:39:02 am »
Both limbs have some deflex right at the fades, so that may be what you're seeing.  It's very noticeable on the top limb, a little more subtle on the lower limb.  It makes it look like it's bending more than it actually is right there. 

Offline steve b.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:16:46 am »
Yea I see what you mean.  Its a great bow anyway but I was just wanting to test my skills.  When I'm pulling the rope on the tree I always at some point get up as close as possible and watch for movement of fades or handle up close.  I don't want the fade or handle area moving until later in the draw and only slightly.
With the deflex, knots, and twists that can occur on a bow its hard to judge tiller from only a pic.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:27:27 am »
Tiller looks great so far. The top pic is pulled just a little further and the bend actually looks better as she starts working. Can't wait to see the finished work k.
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline campx

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:13:36 pm »
Hahahaha, I wish I could use my Photoshop CS5 skills for tillering; my bows would ALWAYS be perfectly symmetrical.  Cool looking bow though.