Author Topic: My new project finished  (Read 7626 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
My new project finished
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »
Last week we worked on a guys well and while working i noticed a old d12 under a shed so i asked him what was wrong with it. He sed before he parked it 4 years ago it was gitting hot. He sed being close to 80 he does not  want to mess with it anymore . So after our short conversation i went back to work. After we finished replacing his pump in his well my dad was making the bill out i went over to look at it as i was testing levers,stearing the oil the customer sed to me you can have it for  200$  shredder and all hehe. So now im working on restoring it to operating condition iv pulled the fuel tank off already and dumped the old fuel out to find 1/4 pf varnish in tue bottom no biggie il clean it out. Im soaking the heads woth diesal it feels a little stuck tryn to turn it over by hand i think in a few weeks she should be running like a champ. If i cant clean the radiater il just core it  instead

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:34:19 pm by skyarrow »
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: My new project
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:49 pm »
Thats a cool old tractor, Sterling. Probably old enough that all you need is a pair of pliers, a wrench or two, a hammer and bailing wire to work on it.  ;D
  Does it have a water pump? You might check the head gasket too, check the cylender compression.
  Heck, it is worth $200 in scrap metal.
  When you get it working I'd like to borrow it to scrape my driveway.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:22 pm »
Sterling, I wish you well, though I must say I hate old tractors. Between the old Ford I left in Nebraska, and the old A/C at the lease down here, I have given much blood sweat and tears over them. The odds of an old tractor breaking down are directly proportional to how bad you need it... ::)

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »
That looks like a fun project.  I hope you get it running.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:45 pm »
Hmmmm......... Brings back lots of memories. Too bad there not good ones.
Steve Bennett

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »
My neighbor is a master mechanic he specializes in tractors and equipment ect...... i think im going to be in good hands fixing this d12  its sleeved so if its major it can still be fixed easly :)   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:14:55 am »
 "The odds of an old tractor breaking down are directly proportional to how bad you need it..."   ;D

I used to own one of those, George. A 1947 Ford 9N. Every time I needed it I had to fix it first.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:30:47 am »
Man do I understand.  Mine was a 1956 Ford 841.  I spent some chilly days trying to get that old thing running so I could plow snow.  Makes me shivver just thinking about it.  Some good memories too, but not too many. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:09:46 am »
Once you got it running good again I'll give you 304 delivered >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 05:46:07 am »
Nice project,I love old tractors. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
Things are looking good this morning i put the transmition in high gear and slowly started to rock the tractor and it was free woot now time to tear down the carb and clean it. The fuel tank is soaking to desolv the gas sludge that was on the bottom of it

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 01:06:06 pm »
Man do I understand.  Mine was a 1956 Ford 841.  I spent some chilly days trying to get that old thing running so I could plow snow.  Makes me shivver just thinking about it.  Some good memories too, but not too many. ;)

George

Surely you jest! Does it ever really get cold in TX?!? Must be refering to Nebraska!  ::) ;)

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:38:34 pm »
Surely you jest! Does it ever really get cold in TX?!? Must be refering to Nebraska!  ::) ;)

Scott
It gets chilly here occasionally, but seldom cold.  I'm acclimated a little, but I'm not like the natives and to illustrate the difference... it was 38 degrees this morning.  As I got in the car, my neighbor across the street was walking by in full cold weather gear, her face not visible.  I was in short sleeves.  She stopped and commented that yesterday morning, when it was 28,  she had seen I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and that cold weather might be here.  I had to laugh.  I do keep a coat in the car down here, but almost never wear it.  Last year it actually got cold enough in Dallas that both my outdoor faucets broke.  We run the pool pump when it goes below 36 to make sure those pipes don't freeze and even with that the pool got about a half inch of ice on it last winter.  That was unusual.  Normally it goes well above freezing every day so in the unlikely event it snows there's little chance to hunt on it.  That and ice fishing are what I miss most about the midwest.

Up in Nebraska, where I fought that old Ford, the winter was a whole nuther deal.  Trying to get an old tractor to turn over and fire up when it's below zero is absolutely maddening.  Even when I got it going, the odds all 4 cylinders would be firing still weren't very good.  I can't believe I lived there all that time and never put a block heater on that Ford.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »
Reminds me of the 1 winter I lived near Killeen. They got a half inch of snow over night and the entire town shut down. No school, no gas, no groceries, bank, mail, nothing! Folks just never came in to work on account of the snow. I had the highways to myself! No snow plows or salt trucks. No police. I could t believe how dead that town was with a little white stuff on the roads. Very different than where I was raised.

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »
Yup, a little bad weather causes a shutdown in these parts.

Sterling, I used to be in an antique tractor forum. Some of the old timers have a ton of knowledge and if you're like me you'll be needing some of it. Hope it turns out to be a real nice tractor for you.

George
St Paul, TX