Author Topic: Osage shortbow for long draw?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Osage shortbow for long draw?
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:28 am »
I am currently working out a trade with someone, this trade includes a 50" osage stave. I was wondering, if i sinew backed it and recurved the last 2-3 inches of the tips severely, do you think i could achieve a 28-29 inch draw and maintain low string angle, as well as being ok with all that stress? i dont want it to explode in my face. If not i can tone down the draw to 27 or 26", but i would like to use it as a hunter that can be shot from a crouch or at full stance and draw. What are the thoughts on this? I dont know how wide the stave is, but if need be(and if i have enough room) i can make the limbs around 2 ish inches wide at the fades to spread out the stress.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Holten101

Re: Osage shortbow for long draw?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:29:20 am »
Now i have no experience with Osage, but getting 28-29" (even 26-27") from a 50" piece of wood, even when backed, is pushing it - no matter what type of wood you use (imo).

I would either glue on siaths or levers, use the piece as a billet, or back it, and accept a shorter draw.

My 2 cents

Cheers

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:39:02 am »
Yes that can be done but...

1. You need a good piece of wood

2. That good piece of wood needs to be in good hands

3. You'll have to deflex a bend right in the handle,reflex the limbs,and either Molly the tips the last 9" or put sharp short(3") static recurve in and you'll get there.

Don't think you were around for this one,but I have a osage selfbow(unbacked),that's 50.5" nth that I made that pulls n shoots to 56@26". I tillered it to 25" but I've extended the draw an inch with no problems,and zero stacking. The design allows a low string angle and I bet it wouldn't start stacking untilled 28" at the earliest. So if you sinewed it I bet it wood easily handle that draw no problem.

Here's a link to that bow..lemme know if you need any help as in the how to do that

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=30598.0

Offline JonW

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00:50 am »
I have a 51" osage bow that is backed with fabric, no sinew. It draws to 27". So I'm sure if it was sinew backed, it could be done. Good luck, keep us posted.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
alright, well, when i get the stave i will post dimension and how much crown it has, and how clean it is. If those factors all pan out it could be a long draw(and a sweet hunter no matter the shooting positioning)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »
This is a nice example of something that i would like to kind of replicate, although, instead of the 50lbs being at the 29"(or 28) i would like it to be 50lbs@ 25-26" and anything after that is fine with me. I mostly want it to be able to full draw when i want it to, but at the same time i want to be able to use lower draw when crouching behind a blind so i can still kill a deer or moose or elk with a shorter draw. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=32619.0

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:12:23 pm »
That's fine if that's something you wanna replicate,but just realize its under designed and way overdrawn causing cast robbing set IMHO. You can see the set it took in the unbraced profile. Making it bend in the handle will help reduce the set a lot better.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
yes, i was planning on a bend through the handle that has rather wide limbs to spread the stress out over a broad surface. I am ok with a bit of set, I also may shorten the draw a little, maybe no more that 27" or something.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »
K..I highly recommend then making the reflexed levers 9-10" like I said previously. That will give you a 40/60 ratio of stiff lever to working limb. I find that ratio really good for shorter bows and anything more is too much and doesn't leave enough working limb. And I'd make the working limbs 1 5/8"-1 3/4"(pending how good of hedge it is) wide for most the length before the levers,and make the handle an 1 1/2" wide.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »
that sounds like a plan  ;D ill definitly make sure to take your advice!(saw your awesome HHB molle) when i get the wood ill post pics of it and ill make sure to keep you all informed of my progress(i wont be speeding through this one.)