Author Topic: Short osage recurve in the works  (Read 9111 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Short osage recurve in the works
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »
We know wood is 8x stronger in depth as opposed to width. Making a bow too wide will result in more set. Especially osage because it will be paper thin at 2" wide and 40#.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:21:41 pm »
Making a bow too wide will result in more set.

No.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:25:18 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »
Ok
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 03:25:30 pm »
Ok

2" wide fades with a pyramid taper is not too wide. The pyramid design is an efficient and low set design.  Yes it is wider than you absolutely need, but it will not induce set from the fades being 1/2" wider. In fact it would reduce set, which is why I would go with about 1 3/4" personally.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:31:23 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:59 pm »
Right on.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »
Please explain why a 63" 40# osage bow pyramid bow with 2" at the fades and 1/2" at the tips would in anyway have more set than the same exact bow, but with 1 1/2" fades.  This is what your saying. How does that make any sense in any way. :o

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »
Chase a ring to get your back.  1.5" to mid limb, straight taper to 3/8" nocks.  I don't consider 63" for a 28" draw as short for Osage.  Close to ideal if the back is in good shape.  Just finished a month or so ago, a 63" Osage bow with thin rings.  27" draw.  45 #.  Just about the dimensions I've described.  I did not flip the tips as it was made for a 13 year old boy.  He will draw about 23 - 24" for a few years, so stack was not a concern.  I left the last 6 inches stiff which made for a smooth draw and release.  Just my 2 cents worth.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »
Please explain why a 63" 40# osage bow pyramid bow with 2" at the fades and 1/2" at the tips would in anyway have more set than the same exact bow, but with 1 1/2" fades.  This is what your saying. How does that make any sense in any way. :o

As I said before we all know wood is approx. 8x stronger in depth than it is in width.

What bow do you think would take on more set? A bow 1/4" thick by 2" wide or a bow 1 1/2" wide by say 1/2" thick? Both bows are pulling 40@28.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

As I said before we all know wood is approx. 8x stronger in depth than it is in width.

What bow do you think would take on more set? A bow 1/4" thick by 2" wide or a bow 1 1/2" wide by say 1/2" thick? Both bows are pulling 40@28.

So.... narrower and thicker = less set, and wider and thinner = more set....  I don't know what you've been smokin,... but I guess I've been smoking it too for suggesting 2 1/2" wide fades on a 40# 63" osage bow... so I say were even.  ;)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »
i think his point is is that if you make it TOO thin you wind up with not enough wood taking compression where as a bow that has more wood in thickness would be able to take the compression better. theres a balance i think and if its say 1/4 inch or even 3/16in then its got too little wood, idk if im right or wrong but thats my thoughts.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44:20 pm »
sleek, check out this post of mine with a couple osage bows I made last year. Might give you a good idea of the dimensions you need, especially comparing what you want to the wider bow that I made since it's about the same length and just ten pounds heavier. Your bow will be lighter but you'll also need that width since you're losing some working limb and stressing it a little more due to the recurves.
ttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27644.msg368851.html#msg368851

Offline toomanyknots

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »

Let me take a stab at it.  The issue is that it's WAY easier to mess up a thin bow. There's a point where it really is not worth trying and for me and osage it's around 2".  Other than that, the physics is the same.  Your 2" wide bow might be around  5/16ths inch thick or less. Your 1.5" bow will be around a half inch thick. Since removing thickness reduces weight very quickly, the thin limbed bow will be much more likely to take set because each session of wood removal will be a greater percentage of thickness. Consequently each scrape will have more effect and it's easier to remove too much. For this same reason tillering kids bows is hard.   If the wood was consistent, there was a formula and we could precision mill the wood ... the thin bow would be no different than the thicker bow.

My personal opinion is that osage bows over an inch and a half wide feel sluggish to me. I've never made a pyramid osage bow though.

Hope that makes sense.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »
hmmmm... i might have to think on that one awhile but it does make sense
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 12:19:02 am »
Well, I've been wrong before. ;D  But, it is what I believe in this case.

George
St Paul, TX