Author Topic: Burnt Toast-2nd white oak bow  (Read 8758 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Burnt Toast-2nd white oak bow
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 04:30:34 pm »
Marc, Just drew her back a few times with an open hand and no pivoting at all, draws rather smooth actually. I'm posting another full draw pic from the other side for your opinion. Tiller looks much worst to me from this side, what do think is wrong? Thanks much!
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 04:31:56 pm »
Sorry forgot photo :o

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 05:46:59 pm »
If the bow draws smoothly then even though you have 3/8" positive tiller then that is what it needs. Tiller looks good but the outer limbs, both of them, are a bit stiff.  For the top limb it's more like the outer 1/3 of the limb is a bit stiff with most of the work being done by the inner 2/3.  It's still a good looking bow and you could just use slightly heavier arrows in it to tame it down.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline k-hat

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 06:05:58 pm »
Somebody edjucate me please.  My initial thought was the single string silencer may be part of it, since everyone seems to take such great care to place them "just right" on upper and lower string evenly spaced (just doing what i'm told there and it works out fine).  Would that not be like adding 10-20 grains to the bottom and throw it slightly off balance?  Since nobody mentioned it, i'm just wondering what i'm missing!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 06:39:41 pm »
Thanks Marc I was thinking like you on the limb tips and mostly the top third, you confirmed it. I should take these photos prior to finishing my bows to assess tiller. May rework this one after hunting season.
K-hat, not sure about the weight or balance issue with the single silencer. I've used them with success on other bows, maybe I'll take it off and shoot to see if there is a difference, worth a try right.
Thanks guys
Greg

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
Nice bow. I love your style, very distinct.
Don't shoot!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »
Got distracted by my question... She's a beauty!!  Love the coloration and finish.  Looks kind of primitive yet refined ;)
Hope she hunts well for you :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 07:56:37 pm »
i think Mark's right about the arrow, i've had some with light arrows rattled abit, then go heavier with an arrow and made a big differance, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹