Author Topic: Hickory Eastern Woodlands Style  (Read 11355 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Hickory Eastern Woodlands Style
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »
Dictionary, you have done well! I think the tiller and length are just fine. Set is almost inevitable with hickory from my experience. Keep at it you're doing great!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:34:40 pm »
Thanks. There is some dissension on how much bend there should be in the handle. I like to be sure my handle is bending  >:D.

My next design will be a tad bit longer and i will use a bit less bend in the handle. One of these days i'm going to try for the rounded belly ELB style if i can figure out how to shape the wood properly. I just picked up TTBB vol 4 finally. Looking forward to reading the arrow section. I like bone points. Very simple.

Thank you everyone.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 12:35:42 am »
Tracy. Is that always true? im sure there will be a bit of set at all times, but, cant you heat treat the belly to limit the set to less than an inch?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
Dictionary, i think you built a heck of a nice bow.  Getting that small amount of set from a hickory sapling bow shows some skill.  I also live in the humid south and have learned that if you keep hickory bows stored inside in the air conditioning, there won't be anything sluggish about them.   I built one for a buddy of mine from a hickory sapling last year and learned something rather interesting about it.  His bow finished at around 45lbs of draw weight.  He stored it in his tiny little office where he keeps the air conditioning blowing cold all the time...  The guy likes it cold!  He brought the bow to my house the other day to shoot and I was astounded at it's improvement in cast and draw weight.  It picked up about 6lbs of draw weight.  Hickory is strange that way.  In his office,  the humidity was substantially lower than it was out in my shed.  Being outside for 6 or 8 hours the other day, did little to take away from it's performance.  Food for thought.  Keep up the good work.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 10:02:46 pm »
Howard, good to hear from someone else from AL. Im in Birmingham myself.

After hearing that, i dont keep my wood in the garage anymore. Its in the house where the AC is  ;).

Thanks

Jalen
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 10:04:26 pm »
Really like that bow!  Arrow looks really good too!  Any closeups? ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »
Really like that bow!  Arrow looks really good too!  Any closeups? ;D

I'll post some in the arrow section tomorrow hopefully when i can get my hands on a family member's phone  :laugh:

Im a serious novice to arrow making so they are nothing special. I am pleased with their flight though. The bone heads were fun to make as well, but im still figuring out how to shape them properly.

-JW_Halverson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 10:36:37 pm »
Maybe the bow isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me!  If you end up wondering where the Air Force should send you, request Ellsworth AFB here in Rapid City.  Bring that bow along and in about a week's time it will simply amaze you on how fast it CAN shoot!  South Dakota also immediately gives resident status to you when your military ID shows you are stationed here. 

We got plenty of trout in the streams, bass in the lakes, birds in the air, and furry critters on the ground.  We'll give that poor bow a serious work out!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 10:59:25 pm »
83% humidity today. Anywhere but here JW haha. Id love to see how the performance increases in a drier climate.

-JW_Halverson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01:56 pm »
Well, if you really wanna know...you could send it to me!   >:D

No, you need to bring it up here and see for yourself.  Otherwise you might think I was exaggerating.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 11:19:11 pm »
That's a really nice bow.  I was just contemplating what I'm going to make for the Xmas exchange while I was flipping through the Eastern Woodland chapter in TTBB vol2, and I'm thinking maybe I should try something like that, maybe out of elm.

I'd like to see some details on that arrow too!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 11:26:26 pm »
Jalen, i am a couple hours drive, southwest of you.  I hope JW doesn't have you transferred to South Dakota before you get to shoot that bow some after it has been sitting inside for a couple of months.  I bet you it picks up at least five pounds of draw weight.   I think you have been bit by the bowyering bug in a big way ;).  Thanks for posting and I hope to see some more of your work. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:11 pm »
D. That bend through handle looks awesome. I have just finished my second one getting ready to post it but yours looks great, and as for set if the bow shoots good I ve not worried about it. :)
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline cornus

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:50 am »
I also like woodland bows and  sapling bows .
Good job.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:28 am »
Nice looking bow,very well done in my eyes. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good