Author Topic: Cedar bows  (Read 2602 times)

Offline bow101

Cedar bows
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »
Anyone build a cedar bow,,,,? if so you have any links to or photos of the bow/bows. What would the best wood backing be for a cedar bow be..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

blackhawk

Re: Cedar bows
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:43:40 pm »
You need to specify exactly what type of cedar...????? Incense,western,eastern?????

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »
Western cedar.

You need to specify exactly what type of cedar...????? Incense,western,eastern?????

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:17 pm »
I use a lot of western cedar for fascia and trim on log houses but Ive never tried to build a bow with it. I would have to think it would be horrible bow wood. It is extremely lightweight and very brittle.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:48:37 pm »
Waste of time, unless you want a light weight bow.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 12:10:25 am »
Is this what others have to say.? or is it your experience building a cedar bow.?

Waste of time, unless you want a light weight bow.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 12:25:00 am »
. The "Cedar" you see alot of people using is actually Juniper which has high compression strength and makes very good bows. I have western cedar siding on my house and it's way too light and weak to make a bow.
Springfield, MO

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »
I have never encountered any juniper, at any rate I just wanted to toss around the idea. What I would like to get and so far no responses to is ~yew~ and i live on the Pacific coast.
I guess I'll just have to dig deeper. Most of the Yew here is very, very old and those trees are rarely cut down. They are mostly dead fall. I know of someone that wants $75.00 for a Yew stave. I'm not paying that..! And I'am currently not into working staves, just Board bows, limbs and laminating what 'eva..

. The "Cedar" you see alot of people using is actually Juniper which has high compression strength and makes very good bows. I have western cedar siding on my house and it's way too light and weak to make a bow.