Author Topic: Question about strings.  (Read 1065 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Question about strings.
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:57:48 am »
So, my friend has a bow(yew or osage that his grandpa owned?) Its limbs still work well, however, he is missing a string. I offered to make him a string, but i was planning on getting fastflight. i did a bit of digging around, and found that it is strongly warned against using ff with older bows. sooo, because i was going to use ff with all my new bows that i make, can i use ff with his, or should i just get b50 and use that up before switching to ff?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Question about strings.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:27:48 am »
I suppose it depends on if its yew or Osage but I might just be feeling the air with my words ???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:46:45 am »
I think I'd play it safe, and use B50 seeing it's an older bow. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »
If it is a selfbow (no glued work besides tips)i would go FF,just pad the loops some .
But if its laminated in some way go B50,even older glass bows have trouble with the dead stops from ff..i killed an old Hoyt goldmedalist that way  :-\

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:36:26 pm »
ok, ill ask my friend if its just glued tips. I would prefer just buying ff but ofc i dont want to break his bow because i was being stupid
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:04:47 pm »
If you dont want to buy b50 for just one bow i will send you enough to make him a string. I have b50 in black and green and b55 in white and purple. If you need it just pm me what ya need.
Steve Bennett