Author Topic: Weight or string follow?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Weight or string follow?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:54:16 am »
All other things being equal, the ipe bow should store slightly more energy than the yew bow with string follow. Some have suggested that the ipe tips will be heavier, but I don't know why that has to be. Because the ipe is more dense, the tips can have a lower volume than the yew.
Gordon

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »
Cool topic to bring up. I have made a bunch of silver maple longbows that end up taking 2 inches or more set, with chrysals even, that out shoot the crap out of my reflexed osage longbows, and I mean bows with around 3 1/2" to 4" natural reflex. I am sure this is mostly because of weight. Silver maple is like styrofoam light, and makes a very fast shooting bow. There is only so much you can do to eliminate outer mass with a heavy wood like osage, there is definitely a limit. I'd have to custom make my own horn nocks anymore for my osage bows, because the tips are like needles.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 06:19:25 pm »
I knew the topic would bring in some responses. The jist of the question was just to see how much more can you  get away with if you made a bow from a lighter wood (with some follow) and get the same performance as if you had a denser bow without the string follow. Toomanyknots brings an important point where those bows with the set are shooting as well as the ones with the reflex. since ive been experimenting with light mass woods This just crossed my mind. I understand the bows described would not be the most efficient but it was for the sake of example.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:17 pm »
Lol! Chris, I hardly consider that as picking on me.  I knew this topic would be an interesting jackpot to jump into from the get go.  There's not even a consensus on the definition of string follow,  that alone makes this impossible to answer definitively.  As has been stated, there are way to many variables to consider to say one way or another.  There are almost as many ways to tweak the design and tiller to favor one over the other as there are ways to tweak the argument  in ones favor.  Nevertheless, I really do enjoy a good discussion on theory.  Arguing with me on theory is a lot like trying to wrestle a pig in mud,  sooner or later you will realize that the pig is enjoying it regardless of the outcome.  Lol!   Oh, and Del, brunettes. ;)  Josh
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:31:08 pm by Gun Doc »