Author Topic: Bow Wood  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Paul F

Bow Wood
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »
I have done a few searches, and maybe I'm just not phrasing it correctly to find the information.  I live in the Woodbridge/Dale City area of VA.  I really don't know what kind of wood we have around here for making bow's or where to start looking for a good source.  Is there some website that may be of help, or anyone local that could turn me onto a good source.  Thank you very much for your help in advance.
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.

Offline Josh B

Re: Bow Wood
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »
Hickory, hard maple, elm, hop hornbeam, eastern red cedar, black locust, lots of oak  and I'm sure that there are many others.  I even spotted Osage orange over by Stephens city to the west of you.  You certainly have no shortage of bow woods growing in Va.  Watch for power companies clearing for power lines and ask the workers for branches.  Look around after an icestorm for damaged trees and downed branches.  There are many ways to come up with staves for nothing or you could trade for whatever you want in the trading post here on this forum.  I have even heard of really desperate bowyers chopping down saplings under the cover of darkness along side backroads  ;) >:D not that I would do anything like that, I've just heard rumors.  Josh   

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Paul F

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:36:33 pm »
Thank you very much for the info. I will keep and eye out and "I would never do it under the cover of darkness".  Shhhh stop laughing. I really mean it.  STOP LAUGHING.  lol.

Also thank you very much for the site.  I'll give it a go. 

Paul
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.