Author Topic: Wild Cherry question  (Read 2706 times)

Offline TNArcher1969

Wild Cherry question
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:39:28 am »
I have a Wild Cherry stave that I am wanting to make a bow out of. The question I have, do I take all the sap wood off and start with heart wood?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:41:30 am by TNArcher1969 »
"Stay Calm, Pick a spot, Shoot Straight"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Wild Cherry question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:28 am »
I have a few common choke cherry staves[might not be the exact same as your wild cherry though]that I will leave the sapwood on it.I'm letting them dry yet.That will be the bows back.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dwardo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:21:09 am »
What kind of cherry is it? Looks like our Prunus Avium (Uk) ?

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:56 am »
looks like an Ebay cherry stave :P
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline TNArcher1969

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »
Yes I got it off eBay. Not sure what kind of cherry it is. All I know is that it is wild cherry.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »
I saw that stave make its rounds on ebay and i would back it, to me it looked like the guy had violated the outer wood fibres.  So you can back it with rawhide or canvas,  trying to follow a ring on cherry can be difficult becuase there is no crumbly early wood to feel for inbetween yearly rings.  if you back the stave, its not a big deal to rip it down a little so there is some heartwood included in the limbs.

These are my thoughts when i saw the stave up for auction :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »
Yea I meant or forgot to say that cherry should at least have a rawhide backing on it.Not meaning your back is as is good to go.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline TNArcher1969

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »
Thanks for the info. I am new to the bow building world. Finished my first Osage a couple weeks ago. Have a lot of great people help me. Thanks to Pappy, Jimmy , Will and Jon. All helped.
Showed the stave to Jimmy last night and he said was a nice stave,  but wasn't sure about the sap wood. Told me to throw the question up on PA.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:57:32 pm »
I've built a few wild cherry bows. I always back mine with rawhide, but other backings would probably work too.   Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline TNArcher1969

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:14:47 pm »
Gonna start working on it tomorrow. Will post some pics as it develops into a bow.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 05:21:13 am »
My very first selfbow was a Cherry bark backed Black Cherry. Cherry bark is a pretty backing, specially on Osage!
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:54 am »
Like Dwardo says, that does looks like our Uk wild cherry, called bird cherry sometines, I have made good bows from it before backed with ash. In this case the heart wood is stronger than the sap wood, so if you back it I'd remove the sap wood......just a possibility? Good luck with it
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......