Author Topic: Ash Holmegaard  (Read 4293 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Ash Holmegaard
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:51:06 pm »
Hi everyone , havent posted a bow for ages, but winter is coming and the nights are getting long, so more time for computers.

I made this bow to sell on ebay, its made from local ash, from a near  perfect straight grained stave. Its 69" long and 50lbs @ 27". there is no heat treatment, but has only 1/4" of set after shooting in.

I was experimenting with wood dyes on this one, but afterwards wished I hadn't, but it sank in too deep to easily remove the dye, so I left it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:21:19 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Ash Holmeguaard
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:53:15 pm »
It looks really nice! i like the color contrast. Was this made out of a board? also, what classifies this as a holme?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »
I'm wondering the same thing... it looks like a basic pyramid bow to me, with excellent circular tiller.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:07:16 pm »
excellent tiller!
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Bowman

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »
Cool bow. I like the dye. Nice contrast. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »
Sweet bow right there, love the bend ya give it.
rich

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
I like the dye job on the handle. Great tiller
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »
thanks all. Yeah I was wondering my self if I should call it holmie!!  It looks more pyramid like in the pics than it really is.  Its basicaly 2" wide up to mid limb then tapers to 1/2" at the tips. I thought that was a holmie...am I wrong? not sure of the real definnition...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Holten101

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:53 pm »
thanks all. Yeah I was wondering my self if I should call it holmie!!  It looks more pyramid like in the pics than it really is.  Its basicaly 2" wide up to mid limb then tapers to 1/2" at the tips. I thought that was a holmie...am I wrong? not sure of the real definnition...

I would say its about the closest thing to a Holmegaard I have seen in a while;-). There is no real definition....even the artifacts (there are two bows) gives mixed signals. Having seen the bow that is on display (the short, complete one) several times I feel certain that it is more of a pyramid than a leverbow tiller wise....yours is close to spot on (imo).

Judgeing from the "full" draw pic I belive you can pull it even further with relative safety;-)

Cheers

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »
Thanks Holten, thats what I thought, but wasnt really sure,  theres very little  real evidence to give an exact defeition. yeah it can be pulled further, I got the missus to take some pics and that was the best one.

Iconic, its made from a big stave, but I tend to basically cut my staves in to 'boards' first. I respect those that do, but I dont like working with bendy wood. I only choose straight staves or boards and try to get the grain running verticaly through the limb, I dont really make ring chased bows, they're too difficult for me

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:21:09 pm »
makes sense, ive only really done board bows anyway. I think it looks great, the texture great and the colors work well. Easily sold on ebay is my bet.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »
If any of the potential buyers knew anything of his reputation they'd be bidding much higher!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

Re: Ash Holmegaard
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 09:53:35 pm »
i allways thought a molly had stiff levers and not a hollme, and the hollmie had shorter narrowed tips, i have a detail of one somewhere, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DavidV

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:52 pm »
I like the dye job, I've been thinking of doing the same thing on my a hickory board bow I have waiting. Did you just tape it off to get those clean lines?
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 01:21:31 am »
I like everything about it! Nomenclature doesn't mean much to me if it is effective.  ;)
  Welcome back Dragonman.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC