Author Topic: Need advise on hickory stave  (Read 1248 times)

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
Need advise on hickory stave
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
Hey gang, Need some advise on this hickory stave. I cut it last oct 2011. sapling about 2 5/8 @ center 59" long. right now I have it rough out to about 1" thick at handle and full width.
I need to do a little more heat straighting before I reduce down.
I plan on this maybe going to one of my grandsons or neighbor kid. draw around 27 or 28"@45-50lb.
Don't want to shape it down to thin before I try and get her to bend. first hickory by the way.
 ? is do any of you pro's have a starting dimension for the weight I'm looking for?
I'm thinking straight taper bend in handle, tip overlay,  may go with some reflex in tips, any advise?
Thanks gang.
Graylan

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Need advise on hickory stave
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:41:09 pm »
You may be asking a lot from that stave. 1.75" wide would be good for a width. I think 25" is pushing it. Remember a small sapling has a crown which focuses the stress  in the back and middle of the stave. You may want t considering a backing like linen or silk. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
Thanks Jawge, The sapling was bigger, 2 5/8" is where I ruff in with the hatchet.
Thanks, Graylan

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:15:14 pm »
Welcome! How is the crown? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »
hickory is a relatively strong tension wood, so i would imagine that you can get away with a much higher crown than say a compression strong wood. Im sure backing it would add assurance to it being strong, but from what ive heard hickory is weak compression and strong tension. SO i would think that so long as you don't have a drastic crown you could get away with a nice bow. since im no expert, and im mostly drawing conclusions based on info that people talk about on here, i would hope that if im wrong some of the more learned bowyers would chime in as to the correctness of my post.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline spyder1958

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:51:26 am »
Jawge I'll shoot some photo's tomorrow. Its been throught a lot of heating and straighting the last few days and is coming around. Its got several knots in the handle and probley not a good stave, but hey its practice and I'll give it my all.
So if any advise on hickory fire away.

Thanks Ionic