Author Topic: Fun Times With Elm  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

Fun Times With Elm
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »
I listened closely to the stave and it said:  "You want to do what?  Please..."

I think this might actually be Rock Elm and not American.  But every site i go to seems to give a conflicting account.  The stave is pretty small in diameter so I was thinking about trying an ELB.  Anyone have any experience with an elm ELB?  I can probably also get away with a decrowned flatbow too.  I should quit analyzing and keep splitting.   :o  Back to pounding I go!

Offline sharpend60

Re: Fun Times With Elm
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:25:59 pm »
Ive never split elm but looks like your gonna have some run of if your not carefull!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:33:17 pm »
I've split american elm and I've never seen the split hang up right in front of the wedge like that.  That's crazy!

Edit: It just occurred to me that the bark might be hiding the split? I can't tell.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:15 pm »
It's more of the angle of the camera than running out but is off center just a tad.  Lol it pretty much stops right there at the wedge.  I have to pound in two hatchets, pieces of wood and whatever I get my hands on to get the wedge back.  I think I have had enough fun for one night!!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »
Brutal.  When I split mine I would just drive a wedge in from the side (not from the top like you are).  That would open it up a foot or two past the wedge, and then I'd drive another wedge in just before the crack stopped.  That would release the previous wedge and I just proceeded down the trunk like that.  That must be super tight grain in that log! 

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »
Ive got a 8lbs sledge, sawed off to 14", just for times like this...

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:19:41 am »
Don't de-crown elm!!! It is very very tension strong and does best with highly crowned backs.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26:09 am »
Your splitting and using your wedge wrong,that's why your having such a hard time.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:30:27 am »
I have positive experiences with elm and elb's. But I have built elb's in "wytch elm" I'm not sure that's the same as american elm. But elm has a good proportion between tension and compression. I think it's very suitable for building elb's. Maybe its smart to make the cross-section a litte bit oval, and not circular. Yew is more comfortable with the circular cross-section.
 :)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline k-hat

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
Ditto as above, split the way cameroo described.  My elm actually split quite nicely using that method.  if it's straight, you can even use a circle saw to cut a straight kerf from end to end to keep the split in line. 

Elm makes nice ELB's, Marc St. Louis has some on here I believe.  I'd temper the belly for sure.  I have one waiting right now to become an ELB :)

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »
Personally I use an impact wrench and a row of nice fat lag bolts. Drive a few of the lag bolts in then have a beer and listen to the fibres snap and pop. when it gives up a little add another bolt or two befor you know it you can start cutting the interlocking fibres with a saw. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15:47 pm »
Personally I use an impact wrench and a row of nice fat lag bolts. Drive a few of the lag bolts in then have a beer and listen to the fibres snap and pop. when it gives up a little add another bolt or two befor you know it you can start cutting the interlocking fibres with a saw. Ron

...That's an ABO impact wrench, right?  ...made from knapped chert and sinew.   :o

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »
Here is the easiest way I have found to deal with Elm...........Walk past it and find a different kind of tree to cut.  ;D 

I cut an elm tree several years ago.  After the many hours it took me to split it, I decided it would be my last.  I haven't touched it since. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:31 pm »
Use saplings and a band saw.... problem solved.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:16 pm »
I cut a nice elm tree a few years ago and had heard someone suggest splitting when frozen.
so I put it aside until a few freezing days and nights had passed - split pretty easily. there were some
"stringy" section that I had to cut through with a hatchet but otherwise it went well.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.