Author Topic: Holmy the Dog and The Sopwith Camel  (Read 6995 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Holmy the Dog and The Sopwith Camel
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 09:23:17 am »
Just turned the comp on and looked at pics.You said you were gonna post em and there they are!!!WOW....Just what a person expects to see from a bowyer like you.Sweeeet profiles.Low masses.All from difficult pieces of wood.I use that hemp wrap soaked in TT3 too.I like it.Thanks for sharing.Do you think you might have to thank hurricane sandy for holeing you up in the shop to crank two bows at a time?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 09:30:02 am »
You're a machine.  Do you have a room full of bows?

No Steve..room wood be plural,I have a few rooms with bows or wood in them. Don't know how my family puts up with me/it. Lol.....thanks

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 09:32:49 am »
Just turned the comp on and looked at pics.You said you were gonna post em and there they are!!!WOW....Just what a person expects to see from a bowyer like you.Sweeeet profiles.Low masses.All from difficult pieces of wood.I use that hemp wrap soaked in TT3 too.I like it.Thanks for sharing.Do you think you might have to thank hurricane sandy for holeing you up in the shop to crank two bows at a time?

Thanks ed and yeah I forgot to mention a BIG thank you to Sandy for holing me up in my shop..lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:40:54 am »
I'm gonna cut my dogwood sometime today.I remember you saying yours was cut in March.You made a bow from it in October and it still checked on you while reducing it?Man that's got to be some finiky stuff to dry.You know if BL had a reason to chrysal that bow of yours was a candidate in most other bowyers hands.Great job.I can't see much prop twist on it either.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:38 am »
Oh forgot to say......Those two bows are a bit long for you are'nt they?You might as well give em away.They won't suit you.....LOL.
BowEd
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
I'm gonna cut my dogwood sometime today.I remember you saying yours was cut in March.You made a bow from it in October and it still checked on you while reducing it?Man that's got to be some finiky stuff to dry.You know if BL had a reason to chrysal that bow of yours was a candidate in most other bowyers hands.Great job.I can't see much prop twist on it either.

Yup I cut the dogwood march this year and when I got it home I started to reduce it immediately and before I could finish reducing it,it started to seriously check,so after I reduced to near bow dimension I shot superglue in the checks on the belly and sealed the whole stave,back,belly,and sides n then set in my dark cool basement. Very finicky wood for sure to dry. Ill try to get a better pic of the prop in it tonight,the pics didn't show it very well I guess.

And zero frets on the locust,I've never had a locust bow fret on me(n I've made 5 so far)

Offline Will H

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 10:03:42 am »
Very nice as usual blackhawk! You are a machine!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 10:15:25 am »
They are just as you desrcibed man. Simple and effective. Nice lack of set as well. Since I know what your caul looks like I can assume little set was taken by looking at the unbraced pics. Excellent tiller work friend....and thats all that matters with selfys!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:40 am »
It's all been said, but I'll say again ... Well done!!!  Both are beautiful and sounds like they're fun to shoot.  You're making me feel lazy though >:( ;)

Offline rps3

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 04:56:00 pm »
I like them both. Very nice. How would you rate black locust as far as performance? That stuff grows like a weed around here, but I have never tried it.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 05:03:58 pm »
Nice bows. Like both of them. Cool. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »
Thanks guys.. :D

Bob..I love black locust..its my second favorite wood..give it a go ...they make a hard hitting bow for sure,and if I didn't have osage around me it wood prob be my main course for bow wood..just treat it right,which I know you wood do anyways,and you'll get a great bow. The stuff grows like weeds over here too,n most folks don't care if ya cut it.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 09:37:25 pm »
Good looking bows !!
I hope I have not missed to many since our internet hardly ever works anymore !
Good to see ya still at it !
Hope to see some of your work in person real soon !
Take care !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 10:16:54 pm »
What a nice pair! Very good looking bows

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 02:17:58 am »
sweet bows there blacky, but i doubt that holmie is a DOG :laugh:, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹