Author Topic: sinew ???  (Read 1903 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
sinew ???
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
Ok, so I just received a pile of processed sinew from a trade. It has a really strong odor too it. Does this mean it should be cleaned and degreased better? I only ask because all other, sinew I've had, had zero smell, and was clean enough to chew on with no real taste to it. Should it all be that clean before I use it? I plan on making some sinew backed bows, and trying a horn bow also. Thanks for the input!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: sinew ???
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:10:42 pm »
Clean it, to by safe. Hopefully it hasn't started to decompose....

Can you post a picture?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:59:34 pm »
Dave soak it until it softens. Then scrape it clean again with a dull knife. Cut away all fat or meat, dont try to save any. Lay it flat and let it dry for a few days. You shoould be good to go.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:00:43 pm »
For what its worth I have never degreased any wood prior to sinewing. I have used it on osage and hackberry five or six times. I use hide glue. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:54:19 pm »
Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing, clean it just to be sure.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »
It should not have an offensive smell to it.If it's rotten I'd think you could pull it apart.Your almost best to just harvest some yourself if that's possible.Smelling a bit like the animal it came from is'nt bad but a rotten smell is no good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »
I usually wash sinew just before putting it down with Dawn dish soap and warm water. I use this as a presoak for the sinew before I glue it down. I have not worked with sinew that didn't have some grease on it so I like to remove that before I use it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC