Author Topic: Hello and help with Cross Country Wood Gathering trip  (Read 1245 times)

Offline bigbird583

Hello and help with Cross Country Wood Gathering trip
« on: November 03, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »
    Hello all.  I've been reading the mag for about a year and just found the website.  I've been wanting to build my own bow for awhile now and now that I found this forum I think I have the resources now to give it a shot.  So my first question is, if you were driving from Colorado to South Carolina, were and what kind of wood would you stop and try to legally gather.  If you could give me a little run down on the name, properties, good legal gathering locations and any other info you had on the wood I would be very greatful.  I don't know if there is even a whole lot for me to get but I'd be interested in hearing about all the local wood that I might come across.  I am very new to this but I have always enjoyed working with wood and there isn't a whole lot of things that feel better that putting something to use that you made with your own hands.  So let her rip everybody and if I'm SOL just let me know.  Thank you all in advance and I look forward to getting to know you all as I'm sure I will be on here picking your brains when I get started on this journey.      P.S.  If anybody could recomend a good traditional archery supply shop near Elloree SC that would be helpful also.

Offline DavidV

Re: Hello and help with Cross Country Wood Gathering trip
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:17:07 am »
You will be heading through Osage country in Kansas and Missouri. Not sure what route you take but I'm in southern Missouri and you can spot osage thickets and hedgerows from the interstate. They're really easy to see this time of year because of the big flourescent yellow balls in the trees and on the ground. If you see a bunch stop by and ask if you can cut anything down. It's considered a weed.
Springfield, MO

Offline wildman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:24:17 am »
If ya make it through west ky I could put ya on osage,hickory,or locust.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:34 am »
Thanks guys,  that's what I'm looking for.  I think I want some pieces so I can "let them talk to me", if you know what I mean.  I haven't decided what style bow I'm going to try for my first one yet and any input on a style that is a good bow to start with would also be appreciated.  I have an idea that has been floating around in my head but I'm not sure if it should be my first or wait till I learn a little more first or just jump in and I can always try again if it doesn't work out the first couple times.  After looking at all the amazing work that everybody does on here it's hard to make any decisions on were to start.  I look forward to learning from anybody on here that will share they're nowledge and the anticipation is really building to get started on something besides working all the time.  Again thanks for the info and when I get a better idea of when I get to go home I will definitely get back with you guys.  And if there's anything native to Colorado that I could round up to trade for your help please let me know.