Author Topic: Taking some advice--my second self bow start!  (Read 16963 times)

Offline Chuck Jones

Taking some advice--my second self bow start!
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:54:58 pm »
Well, after my first disaster the advice was to post as I went along for help to get the feel of what I am doing.  I may have already gone to far in shaping of the bow.  At the fades it is 1 1/4" tapering to 1/2" nocks.  The length is 70"'s tip to tip.  At this point using a level the measurments are the same on each side of center.  From center I measured out 6"'s on each side then marked the bow in 4" segments as a reference.  What do you think so far?

The first picture is bow pulled to 10" with a long string.  The second picture is the bow pulled to 18" with a long string and with a weight of 32 #'s.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:57:24 pm by Chuck Jones »
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

Offline Chuck Jones

Re: Taking some advice--my second self bow start!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:00:28 pm »
I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures.  Maybe a different background would be better.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:03:19 pm »
Looks stiff mid limb on. See Bow Making Directions on my site. There's no need to pull it to 18 in. I assumeyoumean 18 in of string travel. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:20:12 pm »
Jawge, The 18"'s that I mentioned was from the back of the bow with the long string.  First pull on the bow from floor tillering.  The string travel was 12" from the point where the long string just begins to put pressure on the bow.

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:35:57 pm »
After posting my first bow that was a disaster I had a lot of comments about posting pictures and asking questions.  That seemed to be a logical choice for my next bow to be a learning expierence.  So, I was rather surprized when I had such little response.  I am on my own doing now what I think needs to be done to see how this one will come out.  I am tillering the middle third out to about 6 inches of the tips....thanks to those who have responded to my picture...chuck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:45:53 pm »
Chuck what type of wood is it? Board or stave/ You say its 1.25" at fades that is pretty narrow for white woods but with a 70" length
you may get away with it. If its a board i would back it with linen, silk, or heavy paper. I agree with Jawge shes stiff from midlimb out. i would leave the near handle area alone for now. Also what draw length and weight are you going for?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 03:25:32 pm »
Dana the wood is red oak.  My draw is 26" with a longbow.  I am doing this one for the practice to try and get the technique down.  I weight I would like to see in a longbow is 50-55, however, I am thinking that this one will be lucky to get to 45#.  I have backed it with a single layer of burlap.  I have a string on her braced at 2".  10" of string travel gives me 31 #'s.  Here's another picture.  I know the right limb still needs a lot of work...chuck

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:35:15 pm »
The left is still stiff from the middle out, I'm still not sure that it will hold up at 50# but with the length of the bow
and 26" draw it may make it. If your aiming for 50# don't ever pull it more than that and be sure to exercise 20-30
times between each wood removal. Take your time there is no hurry.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:51:38 pm »
Thanks DanaM for your input.  I do excercise it 40-50 times after each scraping.  I dont expect this bow to be much over 45# after final sanding and shooting it in.  This one is for proper practice and technique.  If I get that far the next one will be at 50-55#'s I hope...thanks..chuck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:10:57 pm »
Just take it slow and easy. get the left bending out just a bit further, then take the right limb down to match it. 1 1/4" wide is a bit narrow for a stiff-handled red oak, you will probably be better off at 35-45# with the narrow width.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:17:56 pm »
I sai ::)d left but I believe I meant right, what can I say I'm challenged ;)

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 05:07:38 am »
remove wood from the right limb. not from the fades, but from the midlimb and towards the tips. take it slow. If you rush and mess up at this point, you will lose a lot of pounds from draw weight.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 07:29:33 am »
I would only work on the right limb till I catch it up,the left isn't looking all that bad.
Do you know witch is the top limb yet ? Are they the same length ?  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:43:36 am »
Wow, I am really happy to know that the limb to work on is the right.  Thats is what I thought and I kept looking at the left limb and then the right limb and I just didnt get it.  I get it now and can continue.  Like I said before this bow will probably end up just for the expierence of getting limbs to bend right.  It is pulling 31# right now and if I can get 45# out of it I will be happy.  If not the grandson will have something to grow into....thanks all for the input...chuck

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 12:16:37 pm »
Pappy--At this particuliar stage of learning I dont know if there is a rule of thumb as to which limb should be the top limb.  Just because, no real reason, I have chosen the right limb to be the top limb.  The bow is 70"'s long at this point, 35"'s to center, and each limb is 35"s from the tips.  I might also add that I dont have much artistic ability in my eyes that is why I gave up blacksmithing and stuck with just beating out knives when I want another one.  To judge the curves to make artistic work was not for me.  That is why this curvature thing is a little bit of a problem to me.  That is why I made the "tillering thingy" that is posted on another forum.  It seems to be working for me now....thanks for the advice...chuck