Author Topic: making bows and chippin'  (Read 1924 times)

Offline bubby

making bows and chippin'
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »
i made this point while i was heat treating a bow that i'm building, i hate wasting time, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

Re: making bows and chippin'
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »
That is one gorgeous point. Still have to teach myself how to knap. Looks deadly.

Jon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
Wow! near perfectly uniform sides and the thickness is very nice, Good Job!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:18 pm »
Is it just me, or is there a hole in the middle of that piece of obsidian? That's pretty cool, not to mention well knapped!

Scott

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »
its you!
i thought that too, but its just the suns effect on the camera, if you look that thing is part of a series coming from the sun
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:20:34 pm »
the muffin's right Scott, if we were ghost hunters it'd be an "orb" ::), strictly the camera lens, Bub

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »
That's really nice Bub.  Did you start with a spall or a slab?  I was tempted on a water cooled saw they were getting rid of at work, but it was 3-phase 220 and I didn't want to mess with that in the shop.  Tempting though.  I'd sure get more knappable material out of my rock if I slabbed some of it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:11 am »
it was a slab george, i couldnt get a point from a spall in the time it takes to temper a bow, besides i been beating on some o' that Texas rock the last few days and my wrists are letting me know about it, Bub

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:59:11 am »
That's funny, I'm just the opposite.  I break a slab piece of obsidian about 75% of the time.  I get a point out of an obsidian spall about 75% of the time.  I think it's because I like to leave a median ridge (or maybe I should say I'm not skilled enough to remove it.) ;)  Anyway, the spalls are a little stronger and I can be rougher with them.  I'm used to flint.

Anyway, it's a lovely point. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:26:50 am »
Another great on Bubby, glad you're back @ it!! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tower

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »
That is sweet!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 03:22:20 pm »
That's funny, I'm just the opposite.  I break a slab piece of obsidian about 75% of the time.  I get a point out of an obsidian spall about 75% of the time. 

that's because your you've learned beating on that texas concrete, you gotta treat obsidion with a lighter touch, hell the other day i had a spall i got from cowboy reduced down nice and just wanted to take one little hump off and bam!! broke it in two, sounds like one of your story's huh george :laugh:

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »
that's because your you've learned beating on that texas concrete, you gotta treat obsidion with a lighter touch, hell the other day i had a spall i got from cowboy reduced down nice and just wanted to take one little hump off and bam!! broke it in two, sounds like one of your story's huh george :laugh:

Yep, I wouldn't argue that.  Those glass slabs are absolutely intolerant of any bending and 90% of the time that's what I do.  On the other hand, it takes much less force to run flakes in obsidian so it is a pleasure to work.  Dacite is my favorite though.  I have 2 big chunks of it and I'm pacing myself.  I knock off a spall about once a month.  But, even there, I break my share.  Reminds me of Jawge's saying..."if ya aint breaking, ya aint making."

George
St Paul, TX