Author Topic: Proccessing deer back sinew?  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Proccessing deer back sinew?
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »
Well I've done it before with smaller quantities successfully but wanted to find your secrets for getting the best product out of what I have to work with,

I brought home about 200 pcs to work up this weekend and was wanting  your input for the best method of scraping and cleaning before drying and sealing,

Most of this will be up for trade in the coming weeks and really need some expert advice in order to offer the best product possible.

I'm saving the meat scraps for my famous Nebraska scraped deer meat/kidney suet, Coney style chili recipe.
Thanks, Fred 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Proccessing deer back sinew?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:53:06 am »
Fred, I lay it out to dry(if not already). Then just grab it and twist the sinew strip until it starts to seperate. There is a membrane on one side that has to be removed. Just break it down to strands the size of bow string material or slightly smaller.
  What are you gonna use the sinew for?
I keep unprocessed back sinew in a ziplock in the frig(I have one in my man cave). I take it out and process it as I need it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:14:27 am »
Pat, at the locker they are stripped pretty fast and as you can see in the pics of the bags there is still a lot of red meat attached. I at least wanted to get them cleaned up before allowing them to dry figuring the spoiled meat might not smell too appealing.
I'll be putting some up for trade and keeping a good supply for bow backing on short bows, arrow work, and other projects.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:18:33 am »
I lay them on the cutting board and use a buter knife or dull edge of large spoon to scrape all the meat off.  Once I am satisfied I throw them in a bucket of top secret formula ( 1 cap full of bleach to a gallon of water) to kill any germs and bacteria.  Then lay them around the house and shop on wax paper.  If you would rather go play golf thiss weekend, Pack them on some dry ice in a foam box and I will pm you my address for shipping.   ::)

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:44:09 pm »
Just like Madcrow I use a butterknife to scrape them clean.  My wife would have a fit if i were to lay them out around the house so I hang them out to dry on a clothes line type set up.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:02:08 am »
Some people also give the sinew a rinse in water with a bit of dish soap before drying - the back sinew can dry up a bit greasy sometimes, which I don't imagine would help a glue joint at all.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »
I do the same scrap them then hang up to dry in the house the wife don't like it but 2 days it's usually dry.
Rob

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:29 pm »
madcrow, I spent the better part of 2 days and still only have around 60 finished. Sure wouldn't want to depend on this to feed myself. I gave up golf for archery, not enough money or time for both. I don't have any dry ice in my area of the hills or I might send you a package.

Hope freezing the remainder won't harm the sinew because I won't be able to work any more up for a few days and don't want to let it sit in the fridge uncleaned. Probably end up with another 100 or so pcs this week at the locker.

I used some dawn and peroxide in the rinse water and it definitely helped. Out of bleach until I head to town for supplies next week.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:29 pm »
They will be fine in the freezer.  I have stored them like that for a couple of months and no harm was done.